Wine Watch: The glorious wines of Tuscany

I believe that in another life I must have been Italian and a resident of Tuscany. I say this because, although I try to be as impartial as possible, I love the wines of Tuscany. I was fortunate to spend some time there and was amazed that even in the small-town restaurants where they served their own home-made wines, the wines were excellent, very enjoyable and absolutely perfect to accompany the Tuscan cuisine.

There is another side of the coin. If the home-made wines were so good, the Tuscan commercial wines must be something special.  They are. While Tuscany is mainly known for its chianti, a name that may be used by any wine from the district that is mostly sangiovese, there are producers there whose wines rise above the ordinary and express the true Italian style of fine wine making. I recently sampled some of the imported Tuscan wines and was delighted to find that the wines had not changed and were the same gems that I enjoyed while there.

Lagone 2018 Aia Vecchia ($17). This wine has been made to please anyone who loves red wines. It is a blend of the most popular red wine grapes; 60% merlot, 30% cabernet sauvignon, 10% cabernet franc. The question arose, at least in my mind, will all of these grape varieties clash or will they meld into an interesting whole?

The answer is that they did not only meld but they also produced what has to be one of the most interesting and delightful wines on the market today. Each of the constituents adds its own special flavor and aroma to the blend. I believe that it is safe to reiterate that everything that one seeks in a red wine is right here, clearly presented and probably the most interesting wine I have tasted in a while and all at a very affordable price.

Selvapiana 2019 Chianti Rufina ($21.99). Being made in the Rufina area of Tuscany, the smallest in size and highest in altitude of the Tuscan grape growing regions and from 95% sangiovese, this wine clearly classifies as a chianti. To further classify this wine, it is a chianti on steroids. The aroma and flavor are, to say the least, powerful. Plum, ripe cherries, wild berries abound with a background hint of fresh spice are easily identifiable with new flavor sensations appearing as the wine sits in the glass. The finish is as powerful as is the wine and may I add here, as unforgettable.

Casanova di Neri 2018 IRRosso Toscana ($22). Let’s be very honest. Just the name Casanova associated with the wine perks the interest. Here the name means “new house.”. This wine too is almost all sangiovese with 5% cabernet sauvignon and 5% petit Verdot blended in to add a bit more interest and balance.

It is in the production of this wine where the vintners moved in a direction that is not often used. The wine is fermented and aged in barrels of different size and of different types of woods thus changing the wine from the expected style to a wine of incredible depth and character. The results of all that work led to a wine that has all of the expected flavors and aromas of plums, cherries, wild berries and a hint of spice and a regal elegance found in very few wines.

As one would expect, with all of that barrel use, the properties of this wine might be muted in a shower of wood flavors. Not so, the wood is there but it is in harmony with the other properties and serves more as an enhancer rather than an overpowering annoyance and if you have ever had an over oaked wine you know what I mean. This wine is very food friendly and will accompany meals that call for a red wine and some that do not.

Actors 50 and over examine dementia and death

The Show Must Go On | Pigs Do Fly Productions

Actors 50 and over examine dementia and death

By Jan Engoren

With the emphatic moniker, Pigs Do Fly, Ellen Wacher, founder and producer of Pigs Do Fly Productions, wanted people to know, women (and men) of a certain age are still relevant.

“When pigs fly,” might be an ironic comment meant to convey the unlikeliness of something happening, but Pigs Do Fly stands for people over 50 living interesting, active lives, according to Wacher, a 60-something who founded the theatre company in 2014.

With a mission is to produce plays that highlight the actor over 50 as a viable, fully involved, full of life character, Wacher says she wants to engage the 100 million plus Americans who are over age 50 and are under-recognized by the marketers of other popular culture.

“We don’t do plays about dementia or death,” says Wacher from her home in Miami.  “I’m interested in vibrant, active people living their lives and pursuing their passions.”

All of the company’s plays focus on this demographic and feature actor over 50.  The company is a professional theatre company and all employees are paid.

Seven years ago, Wacher presented her first production, title, “Fifty Plus — A Celebration Of Life . . . As We Know It,” a collection of short plays featuring actors 50+, and focused on active folks of the same age group.

On March 6, 2020, Wacher’s latest production, “Helen on Wheels,” an original play by Oregon-based playwright Cricket Daniel premiered at the Empire Stage in Ft. Lauderdale, but was indefinitely postponed as theatres shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I’d give my eye teeth to be back live,” says Wacher who is gauging things on a daily basis as to when the theatre might resume.

She’s also concerned, about whether her audience – also people of a certain age – will return.   Noting that many theatres and other arts venues have moved their programming on-line, Wacher defers, saying, “By definition, theatre is meant to be shared live and in person.”

A native of Miami, Wacher worked for the state of Florida as a teacher and lobbyist and retired with 30 years under her belt.

“I always wanted to be an actress,” Wachter remembers, “but didn’t have the courage to starve.  Eating and dressing nicely were always at the top of my list.”

So, once she retired, she decided to pursue her passion and appeared in local productions of Neil Simon’s “Rumors,” “The Sisters Rosensweig,” “Joseph Andrews” and “The False Witness.”

“Now I can do what I always wanted to do and not worry about the money,” she said.

However, it was a shock to learn that she had aged out of the commercial acting market.

“I didn’t fit the stereotype of what they wanted for older women,” she remembers.  “I got really mad and decided to start my own theatre company.  I didn’t have a clue what I was doing, but I was committed to the idea.”

“I was headstrong and determined,” Wacher says.  “I lucked out, found the right people and in spite of not knowing what I was doing, managed to get it done.”

“We picked plays, held auditions and the audiences came,” she says.  “I got positive feedback from my audience.”

Currently, Wacher is vice president of the SAG-AFTRA Miami local and as chair of the women’s committee, works on the need to better recognize actors (and audiences) over 50 in theater, television and film.

During the quarantine and pandemic, Wacher, despite eating what she says is a bit too much ice-cream, attended SAG Zoom meetings, watched reruns of Seinfeld (her favorite), Friends and Everyone Loves Raymond and founded the Miami Radio Players, a group of professional actors based in Miami, who perform live radio shows.

Once she gets the all-clear to resume productions, Wacher is ready to go with re-launches of two of her most popular productions – Daniel’s “Helen on Wheels” and an original comedy by playwright Jerry Mayer titled, “2 Across,” about the New York Times crossword puzzle and a chance encounter aboard a San Francisco BART train.

She also has her eye on mounting “The Savannah Sipping Society,” a comedy by Nicholas Hope, Jessie  Jones and  Jamie Wooten.

As one audience member proclaimed to Wacher, after a previous show, “Thank god someone’s doing something for people like us.”

Visit pigsdoflyproductions.com

Civil War spawned our Memorial Day

By Ellen Marsden

Memorial Day is the end-of-May holiday that unofficially kicks off summer. But what is the holiday really about?

First, let’s clear up the confusion between Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Memorial Day, observed on the last Monday in May, commemorates those who died in military service to the country. Veterans Day, always observed on November 11, honors everyone who has or is serving the country, in wartime or peacetime.

Memorial Day started as a Civil War remembrance

While honoring those who have been killed in combat goes back to the ancient Greeks and Romans who marked their passing with public remembrances and decorating graves with flowers, our national holiday begins with the Civil War

Toward the end of the war, thousands of Union soldiers were held as prisoners of war in Charleston, South Carolina, at what was formerly a racetrack. Hundreds died from maltreatment, and they were buried in a mass grave there.

In May 1865, newly freed slaves, along with regiments of the U.S. black troops, gathered to honor and properly bury those soldiers. They sang hymns and put flowers on the graves.

Nearly 620,000 soldiers were killed in the Civil War. In May 1868, John A. Logan, Union general and commander-in-chief of the Union veterans group, the Grand Army of the Republic, called for a nationwide day of remembrance to be held yearly on May 30.

General Logan named it Decoration Day, and he called on citizens to put flowers and decorations on the graves of those who had died in the war. (Logan’s name may not be among the most prominent of the Union generals, but Logan Circle in Washington, D.C., is named after him.)

Over time, Memorial Day came to honor all of those lost in military service, not only in the Civil War. In 1968, Congress passed the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, and Memorial Day moved from the set observance on May 30, no matter what day of the week that fell on, to the last Monday in May. Memorial Day became a federal holiday in 1971.

Why poppies are a symbol of the holiday

World War I was raging in Europe in 1915 when Canadian soldier and surgeon John McCrae was serving in Belgium. Inspired by the bright red poppies growing in Flanders Fields (located in southern Belgium and northwest France), despite the bleak and brutal battles there, he wrote “In Flanders Fields,” a poem giving voice to the dead soldiers lying beneath the flower-covered ground.

A few years later, Moina Michael — a professor at the University of Georgia and a volunteer at the training headquarters for YWCA overseas workers — who had read McCrae’s poem, was moved to write her own poem commemorating those who had died at Flanders Fields. She, too, referenced poppies in her poem, “We Shall Keep the Faith.”

After the war, realizing there was a need to support disabled veterans, Michael championed the selling of silk poppies to help raise funds. As a result, a movement began to make wearing a red poppy a symbol of remembrance on Memorial Day. Through the years, the symbolism has extended to represent all veterans, so wearing a poppy on Veterans Day has become common as well.

Memorial Day today

For many of us, Memorial Day is a fun day of traditions celebrated with parades, long weekend vacations, barbeques and get-togethers with friends and family. But there are more formal traditions as well. Flags are supposed to be flown at half-staff until noon and then raised.

And by congressional legislation passed in 2000, at 3 p.m. local time on Memorial Day, Americans are encouraged to think about the meaning of the holiday during the National Moment of Remembrance.

Wishing you a happy and meaningful Memorial Day.

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch: be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

⎯John McCrae, May 1915

We Shall Keep the Faith

Oh! You who sleep in Flanders Fields,

Sleep sweet to rise anew!

We caught the torch you threw

And holding high, we keep the Faith

With All who died.

We cherish, too, the poppy red

That grows on fields where valor led;

It seems to signal to the skies

That blood of heroes never dies,

But lends a luster to the red

Of the flower that blooms above the dead

In Flanders Fields.

And now the Torch and Poppy Red

We wear in honor of our dead.

Fear not that ye have died for naught;

We’ll teach the lesson that ye wrought

In Flanders Fields.

⎯Moina Michael, November 1918

Spring and summer mark the beginning of moving season

Here are a few tips to make your moving process smoother:

• Prior to moving or relocating, declutter clothing, toys, or personal items. Eliminating these items in advance of your move will reduce your packing time and moving costs.

• Pack items from each room together so they are not mixed with items from other rooms. For example, kitchen items should be packed separately from master closet items. This will help to make unpacking quicker and easier.

• On your moving day, ensure the movers label and scan all of your items before they are loaded into the truck. Items should be labeled on each side and not just on the top so they can be identified easily.

• While the movers will create a list of all of your items, consider creating your own inventory list to not only confirm the mover’s list but also designate which room they should be placed in your new home.

• Once your items start unloading at your destination, be sure to check each item off on both the mover’s list and your list to double check that all your items have arrived safely. Inspect each item for damage if possible.

• Time permitting, open and examine your items to see if they are intact. If anything is missing or damaged, be sure to make a claim as quickly as possible. Take pictures to document any damage, and immediately notify your move coordinator.

Lisa Haubenstock is a Professional Organizer and the owner of LisaTheOrganizer, LLC. serving Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties.

Another busy storm season predicted

By Aaron Krause

Hunker down for yet another hectic hurricane season this year, say AccuWeather forecasters. However, in 2021, the period of intense storm activity from June 1 to Nov. 30 won’t quite match 2020’s record-breaking season of practically nonstop action.

AccuWeather’s team of tropical weather experts, led by veteran meteorologist Dan Kottlowski, predict that this year, 16 to 20 named storms will form, including seven to 10 hurricanes. Of the storms expected to reach hurricane strength, weather experts believe three to five will become major hurricanes. Such storms are Category 3 or higher that carry maximum sustained winds of 111 mph or greater.

Experts consider a normal season to be one carrying 14 storms ⎯ with seven hurricanes and three major hurricanes. Last year’s season produced 30 storms, including 13 hurricanes. Six of those reached the major hurricane threshold.

It was a record year with 12 named storms making landfall in the U.S., overtaking the previous record of nine direct strikes in 1916.

In fact, forecasters had to turn to the rarely used Greek alphabet for just the second time to name the storms. Forecasters use Greek letters as names when they have exhausted the list of a year’s assigned proper names.

But the weather service will no longer use Greek letters, instead developing an alternate overflow name list. Journalists and the public were asking more questions about the names than the storms themselves.

Also, say goodbye to Dexter, Dorian, Leah, and Laura. Officials have permanently retired these names, following the tradition of not reusing the names of particularly destructive storms.

Forecasters this year will step up to the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration’s Global Forecast System weather model, which should improve predictions on tracking, intensity, and landfall locations.

According to a statement from the National Hurricane Center, the start of the 2021 hurricane season remains June 1. Weather experts had been considering changing the start to May 15, due to an increase in tropical activity in the Atlantic basin over the past decade.

Since 2011, 10 named storms have formed in the Atlantic before June 1. Eight of those happened since 2015. The years 2012, 2016, and 2020 featured seasons that not only saw storms before June but experienced more than one storm before the official season start.

While the 2021 hurricane season’s official start date will remain the same, there has been at least one change. The Miami-based National Hurricane Center started issuing tropical weather outlooks on May 15, two weeks earlier than normal.

To determine how active a hurricane season will be, weather experts consider factors such as the strength or weakness of systems like El Niño and La Niña, short-term climate fluctuations caused by the warming or cooling of waters in the central and eastern Pacific Ocean. When the water in the equatorial Pacific is warmer than average, forecasters typically declare it an “El Niño.” When the reverse is true, weather experts call it a “La Niña.”

Locally, ongoing work by Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) will help speed electricity restoration following major storms for Coral Springs residents.

“Florida Power & Light Company customers in Coral Springs continue to benefit from the company’s ongoing work to strengthen the energy grid and improve service reliability,” company officials wrote in a press release.

“FPL investments, which include strengthening power lines and poles, trimming trees near power lines, installing smart grid technology, and undergrounding power lines in select areas, help make the grid more reliable day-to-day and speed restoration following major storms,” according to FPL.

“For more than 15 years, FPL has been improving the energy grid, making it stronger, smarter, and more storm-resilient to keep the lights on for customers in good weather and bad,” said Eric Silagy, FPL’s president, and CEO.

Improvements in place last season, for example, prevented some 150,000 potential outages, Silagy said.

Parkland Life- Unconditional love and friendship

Last night we celebrated the first birthday of Michelangelo Booboo Vogel (aka “Mickey”). My regular readers know that he is my COVID puppy, a mini goldendoodle, ours since he was eight weeks old. He is loving, bright, active, and joyful. I have credited him with saving my sanity during the pandemic when he brought love and purpose into my life.

Dog owners know that the first 18 months of puppyhood can be challenging. Between the teething, the frequent bathroom walks, training, and the general need for activity and attention, puppies consume a lot of patience and energy. Mickey was no exception. What makes it all doable is that the puppy is so very cute. Those little balls of fur with a big belly just melt your heart. It is always love at first sight. However, to form a successful human−dog relationship, life after cuteness needs to be defined and built.

Mickey and I were lucky. He was willing to try us out and I certainly wanted him to be happy. So we worked out the pee runs in the middle of the night, the early-morning face lickings, the chewed shoes, and his picky eating. I look back and laugh as we have moved beyond all of those things except for the early-morning wake-up calls. What I have gotten in return is unconditional love and friendship. He cries when I leave, he is waiting at the door with kisses when I return, and when we have a tiff he can’t wait to make up.

Mickey has opened my world to many new experiences. I have met all the local dogs and their owners. During the pandemic, we have congregated outside and provided the caring that we all need to face another day working at home while the kids are on the computer for school. Mickey has also reminded me that people and dogs are made for each other. He is cuddly, protective, and a great walking companion. We walk about seven miles a day together and watch flowers grow, birds fly, and ducks swim. Together we love our beautiful Parkland neighborhood.

I have become a proud mom all over again, showing his picture, introducing him to all my friends and neighbors, and believing he is simply the best dog in the world. In return, I give up the freedom to do what I want, when I want, and instead, I compromise on timing that is better for him. Mickey is a good listener and enjoys talking back, as anyone who knows him will affirm. He has trained me to cook for him and lets me know when he is unhappy with the menu. He swims, and he smiles every time I ask if he wants to go into the pool. He puts up with my need to have him groomed and to comb him daily. He has learned to be patient when I am on the phone or computer. In other words, we accommodate each other mostly with good humor

As Mickey turns one, he looks like a fully grown dog. I am not sure where the time went. He is everything I could hope for in a companion and worth the time, effort, and angst that goes along with any relationship. I have been blessed, and I hope if you have ever contemplated adopting a dog that you do so knowing that the time and effort spent are rewarded many, many times over.

Happy, happy birthday, Mickey. The presents you give me daily far exceed anything I could ever imagine.

New rabbi comes to Margate’s Temple Beth Am

Rabbi Michelle Goldsmith will become the rabbi of Temple Beth Am in Margate in June.

Most recently, Goldsmith was rabbi of Congregation Beth Emeth in Herndon, Virginia, where she served since July 2013.

Prior to Beth Emeth, Goldsmith was rabbi at Temple Beth-El in Birmingham, Alabama, from 2009 to 2013. She also has served as associate rabbi at Temple Beth Sholom in Sarasota, Florida (2001-2009), and at Beth Shalom Congregation in Jacksonville (1998-2001).

Goldsmith graduated from American Jewish University in Los Angeles in 2013 with a Rabbinic Management Institute certificate. She received her rabbinic ordination (M.A.) in 1998 from the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York City. She also earned a master’s in Hebrew letters from American Jewish University in 1994 and her B.A. in 1993 with a concentration on the Hebrew Bible.

Goldsmith describes her style as “marked by sensitivity to tradition and the spiritual needs of my congregants.” She strives for her “timeliness … humor and intellectual breadth.”

At her latest position in Virginia, Goldsmith stepped boldly into the 21st century, undertaking active shooter response and “Stop the Bleed” training, following attacks on Jewish institutions across the country. Her congregation became a national model for synagogue security.

During the pandemic, Goldsmith worked with congregants and staff to adapt the offerings of the synagogue to the reality of COVID-19, including holding Zoom services, streaming the high holidays, and moving the early childhood center, religious school, and adult education programs online.

Business Spotlight – Office Evolution Coral Springs

Working from home isn’t new, but the pandemic has brought seismic changes in where we work and who works from offices. Professionals and businesses everywhere are asking these questions: “Can my business really succeed from my kitchen table?” “Can I downsize my office?” “Should I renew my lease?” “Where can I meet my clients now that I am working from home?”

Local entrepreneur Mark Mendel and his company, Office Evolution Coral Springs, can help with those issues. Office Evolution is part of a growing national network of locally owned and operated workspaces that are close to home, affordable, safe, and inspired. This fast-growing trend in the workplace is sometimes referred to as flexible workspaces or coworking.

Flexible workspaces have numerous advantages:

• Cost and time efficiency. Membership at Office Evolution helps businesses preserve capital by eliminating the need for typical long leases and purchasing furniture and equipment, and it provides phone and internet services.

• Inspiration, collaboration, and networking opportunities. Working at home can be lonely and unmotivating. Working among diverse businesspeople can spark creativity and offer connection.

• Work-life balance. Working from home, you may be distracted or unable to disconnect from work. Coworking gets you out of the house into a productive work environment and mindset.

• Flexibility. You can effortlessly scale and access more or less space. Do you want private offices, or a dedicated desk for a year, a month, or even two days per week? That’s easily arranged.

• Project professionalism. Have your client meetings in a receptionist-staffed business venue, not in a coffee shop or hotel lobby.

Office Evolution Coral Springs is close to home, located on the first floor of the Charter Place office building at University Drive and Sample Road, and is expanding by 35 offices early this summer. It will have a beautiful café as well.

A guiding philosophy at Office Evolution is “Ohana” — a culture of family in a supportive, full-service work environment. “I want to be of service to the business community and provide them with the space, amenities, and service they need,” Mendel said. “As a small business, we understand the needs of other businesses and professionals and can help you get that right space.”

Offices are fully furnished with contemporary furniture, telephones, and business-class secure internet. They range from one-person offices to large executive spaces, team offices, and conference rooms. Office Evolution Coral Springs offers concierge-level service, professional reception, and a café with free refreshments.

Office Evolution Coral Springs
3301 North University Drive, Suite 100 Coral Springs, FL. 33065 Phone: 754.203.0004
WEBSITE: www.officeevolution.com/locations/coral-springs FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/ Office-Evolution-Coral-Springs-103536181634831

HOURS: Business center is fully staffed Monday-Friday 8am-5pm and open to members 24/7/365

May the Fourth be with you!

By Sheryl Dunn

Stories from the Star Wars universe have been delighting and enthralling fans young and old alike since “A New Hope” first debuted in 1977. “May the force be with you” became a catchphrase, and eventually, as with many things on the internet ⎯ a pun and a holiday were born.

May the Fourth be with you! Regardless of your opinions on the prequels (Episodes I through III) and sequels (Episodes VII through IX), the popularity of the Star Wars franchise continues with the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge attraction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Orlando and with “The Mandalorian,” the TV show on Disney+.

However, you don’t have to travel all the way to Orlando and brave the crowds just to have some Star Wars−themed fun. Even though May 4th is a Tuesday this year, you can still have fun dressing up at school, at work, or at home and having watch parties with your friends and family.

What can hard-core Star Wars fans do if they want to up their costume game or meet other diehards? There are, in fact, international, nonprofit social clubs ⎯ the 501st Legion and the Rebel Legion ⎯ with local chapters in South Florida. Founded in 1997, the 501st Legion is an international, 501(c)(7), nonprofit social club first organized by Albin Johnson. As of April 2, 2021, they have 14,188 members in 69 countries. In Florida, there are 602 members who make up the Florida Garrison. The garrison is further divided into five squads with South Florida covered by the Everglades Squad, which was first founded in 2003.

Since then, the 501st has participated in thousands of events and currently has 101 active members in its service. Active members are defined as those members who participate in at least one event, or “troop,” per year; complete their annual organizational census; and own, via building or commissioning, at least one screen-accurate costume that has been reviewed and approved according to specifications listed in the costume reference libraries (CRLs). These CRLs include not only stormtroopers, but also any antagonist or morally gray character from the Star Wars galaxy.

In January 2000, in response to the rise of the 501st, and wanting to celebrate the heroes of the Star Wars galaxy, the Rebel Legion was officially founded by Tony Troxell, Richard Fairbrother, Doug Fesko, and Ed O’Connell.

The 501st Legion and the subunits thereof have three primary missions: (1) to promote interest in Star Wars, (2) to facilitate the use of costumes, and (3) to contribute to a variety of charitable causes. To accomplish these missions, they attend various private and community events throughout the year at no charge to event organizers. For private events, they generally encourage organizers to donate any amount to a charity of the organizer’s choosing in the 501st Legion’s name. This request is by no means mandatory, though. For public events, the 501st Legion visits libraries, schools, children’s hospitals, fundraising initiatives, weddings, birthday parties, comic conventions, municipal parades, movie premieres, select Disney events, and many more. In 2019, prior to the pandemic, the Everglades Squad attended approximately 142 different events in South Florida throughout the year.

For more information, visit the following websites:

The 501st Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While it is not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it follows generally accepted ground rules for Star Wars fan groups. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm.©™ Lucasfilm Ltd. All rights reserved. Used under authorization.

Let’s Fiesta! – A Cinco de Mayo collaboration

Let’s Fiesta! – A Cinco de Mayo collaboration

By Rachel Hunter

Owner of Celebrate You Events offering bespoke party planning for all occasions.

Tel: 305.389.0550

CelebrateYou2020@gmail.com

While Cinco de Mayo originated as an historic battle won in the city of Puebla, Mexico, here in the US, it has become a celebration of Mexican heritage. So, grab your sombreros and get ready to party! Here are some family-friendly ideas to liven up your hump day.

A few days before the holiday, get the kids involved in creating the decorations. The local dollar store has tons of seasonal, inexpensive crafts. Make them together, or give them the tools and enjoy a few minutes of downtime. (Wishful thinking, I know!)

On the actual day, I like to set up a festive kids table with more activities. Don’t put the Easter eggs away just yet! Save a few for them to make their own maracas. Simply have them put dried beans inside the egg, grab a couple spoons and secure the egg in the spoons with some colorful tape. They’ll enjoy decorating them as well as dancing around afterwards with their new musical instrument. I also found a free, downloadable Cinco de Mayo themed “I Spy” for them to play. Throw in some adorable avocado cookies, and you’ll have some happy kids!

While the kids are busy with their crafts, make yourself a well-earned margarita. Instead of a salted rim try using Tajin for extra bite. Order food from your favorite Mexican restaurant, or whip up some quick fajitas like we did. But be sure to treat yourself to some almost-too-cute-to-eat sweets like these festive cookies and stunning cakes. Believe me, these coconut lime cactus cupcakes will not disappoint.

Stay safe and enjoy your Cinco de Mayo!

For information on any of these activities contact:

Rachel Hunter of Celebrate You Events (IG: @celebrate.you.events) – Concept creation, party styling & banners

Kelley Jomant of Caked with Love by Kelley Inc (IG: @cakedwithlovebykelleyinc) – Custom cakes

Ana Ortiz of AO Craft Décor (IG: @aocraftdecor) – Extra-large paper flowers

Claudia Ovalle of Claumellows (IG: @claumellows) – Custom cookies

Crystal Aguila of Riley Black Designs (IG: @rileyblackdesigns) – Custom signs & acrylic lime wedges

Tips from Florida Power and Light Company

Save energy and money this spring with simple tips from FPL

By Andre Sowerby-Thomas

While spring is the season of new beginnings, it is also the season of more sunshine and as the weather heats up, spring also brings increased energy usage – especially as many of us continue to spend more time at home.

To help you save energy this spring, Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) is offering some simple tips.

• Check windows for air leaks: Check your windows for drafts. Re-caulking and using weather strips can help to keep the warm air outside.
  • Leave incandescent bulbs behind: LED bulbs are 85% more efficient than incandescent bulbs and last 10 times longer.
  • Try to block out the sun: Use thermal-backed drapes for your windows and sliding doors and keep them closed during the sunniest parts of the day to help keep your home cool.
  • Always turn off your fan: Ceiling fans cool people – not rooms. Turn ceiling fans off when you leave a room. Leaving them on in an empty room can drive up energy costs.
  • Never leave your A/C filter dirty: Be sure to change the filter and make a habit of doing so within the timeframe recommended for your model.
  • Inspect the ceiling for duct leaks: If the ceiling is dirty around your A/C vents, that is a good indication of leaks in your ducts. Contact an A/C contractor to perform a duct test if that’s the case.
  • Consolidate electronics with power strips: Easily turn off a group of electronics at once when they’re not in use by consolidating several plugs onto a power strip. This could save you up to $100 a year.
  • Get energy savvy: Install a smart thermostat and control the temperature of your home from anywhere. When used appropriately, these can help a single-family home save about 3% of total energy costs.

Looking for more ways to save this spring? Check out FPL’s various energy saving programs, like our ceiling insulation and A/C rebates, no cost On Call program and free Energy Analyzer tool at fpl.com/save/programs.

Andre Sowerby-Thomas is FPL’s Home, Business and Energy Solutions expert and residential contributor to Watt’s Happening, a blog by FPL focused on helping residential and business customers become energy savings pros. For more than 15 years, Andre has helped customers improve their energy efficiency and lower their home/business energy costs.

SOFLO Gardening – May

What to plant

Annuals/Bedding Plants: Plants that can take summer heat include salvia, angelonia, wax begonia, and ornamental pepper.

Bulbs: Planting early-, mid-, and late-blooming varieties of daylily ensures months of color from these low-maintenance plants.

Herbs: Continue to plant heat-loving herbs, including basil, oregano, Mexican tarragon, and rosemary

Vegetables: Swiss chard will take the heat as well as okra, southern pea, and sweet potato.

What to do

Pests: Insects become more active in warm weather. Watch for thrips, scales, and mites on ornamental plants.

Gardenias: Yellowing of older leaves is usually normal; yellowing of new growth usually indicates a micronutrient deficiency

Oleanders: Inspect chewed or ragged leaves for oleander caterpillars at work.

Lawn insects: Watch for damage from chinch bugs in St. Augustinegrass and begin scouting for newly hatched mole crickets in bahiagrass lawns.

Tomatoes: Watch for pests, disease, and nutritional disorders on tomato plants.

New plants: Produce more plants by air layering, grafting, division, or cuttings. See Seeds and Propagation (Lawn and Garden):

Trees: Prepare for hurricane season by checking trees for damaged or weak branches and pruning if needed. Hire an ISA-certified arborist.

Lawn Mowing: Encourage healthy growth and discourage insects, weeds, and diseases by mowing correctly.