Can you catch a leprechaun?

St. Patrick’s Day falls on a Wednesday this year, so why not liven up hump day with these fun kid-tested activities? It’s easy to create a festive experience while still practicing COVID safety.

Start the morning with rainbow necklaces! Grab some yarn, tape, and your favorite colorful cereal and get those fine motor skills working. Tape one of the ends to make it easier to thread the O’s. The kids can wear, eat, and enjoy. If you’re lucky they’ll make one for you too!

Spread some joy. My kids love to leave surprise treats for their friends and neighbors. I found some inexpensive containers for them to fill with gold nuggets and printed off festive tags. It is a great excuse to hop on their bikes and get some exercise while delivering these small gifts.

The grand finale is a leprechaun scavenger hunt! The kit includes the clues, a hiding cheat sheet for the parents, and a pack of gold cookie “coins” as the treasure. The clues are simple and offer great reading and problem-solving practice. Hide the clues all around the house to get your kids running around. The sheer joy and sense of accomplishment as they find each clue will make your heart melt, and I think it makes the treasure taste even better.

Stay safe and Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

For information on any of these activities contact:

Rachel Hunter of Celebrate You Events (@celebrate.you.events) – Party styling, scavenger hunt kit & banners

Amanda Fletcher of Cookies by Amanda (@cookiesbyamanda) – Scavenger hunt kit & Cookies

Daniela Herrera of Tulle & Tools (@tulleandtools) – Cake pops

Maribel Giraldo from Designs for You (@maribel_designsforyou) – Balloon garland

How my child’s battle with cancer prepared our family for the pandemic

Thirteen years ago my life changed overnight. I was happily living a normal routine. Then, suddenly, I found myself in constant worry. I was fearful of financial ruin. I was having constant concern of a family member’s failing health, and anxiety of the possible effects to a compromised immune system.

I found myself feeling safer in isolation. I went down a rabbit hole of unpredictability checking numbers, incessantly wiping down surfaces, washing hands, and applying for social services like food stamps after losing my job.

Back then, the numbers I was checking were not the daily percent of positive tests for an invisible illness in my community or the number of local hospitalizations.

The numbers were of the different blood cells my son had. The illness that he had was not invisible. In fact, it could be seen under a microscope in a regular blood sample because it appeared black. It was cancer. He was only 6 years old, and I was 26.

The whole world was not experiencing it with us at that time. Although some 300,000 families experience it annually, we still felt like the only ones.

The journey started in May of 2007. Seven years later, my son
was done with chemo and cancer free.

During those seven years he endured more spinal taps, bone marrow aspirations, blood transfusions, and needle pokes than I could ever count (or want to).

He also went through a relapse, six fractures to his spine, a blood clot, and a stroke.

The journey was tiring, scary, and forever life-changing.

What I didn’t expect in the years following his recovery was how useful all that I learned would become.

All the heartaches and lessons I learned during that time would become a road map for navigating a future health crisis: The COVID-19 pandemic.

A year ago, in March 2020, we all were plummeted into a whole new world. To me, however, the landscape looked familiar.

I discovered that I was equipped to navigate it. Through my experiences I had garnered some tools in dealing with uncertainty and crisis. I want to share the top 10 with you.

Find Joy- I found during those hard times that joy seemed to elude me. I was submerged in worry and sadness. It took a while for me to recognize that in the toughest of times you must work at finding joy.

When you look for beauty, you will find it, and once you do, beauty and joy will naturally find you.

Show Gratitude & Appreciation-They say nothing is a better teacher than experience, and I would add nothing makes a person wiser than proper perspective.

Finding gratitude was hard at fi rst, but suddenly I became grateful for the little things that became big things to me; little things like a smile or laugh from my sick son, his immune system being strong enough to visit friends, or the gourmet coffee shop at the hospital. The minute I started learning to appreciate and have gratitude for the little things everything changed.

Be Flexible- Life will take you down paths you never predicted or saw coming. The lesson learned is that control is an illusion and hanging on to habits that once made sense, but do not anymore, will only make change that much harder to adapt to. Be willing to learn new things. Adapt your schedule, and go with the flow.

Create Fun- This is so important. Get creative. When my son was unable to go to movie theaters, attend parties or restaurants, we, as a family, brought the fun to us.

My parents started creating movie nights for him and his brother, and expanded them into themed movie nights.

There are no rules that say you need a bunch of people to throw a party! You
can throw a party on an easy budget with just your immediate family.

Since the pandemic, we started this again. We have thrown over 20 theme nights at home with just us that include costumes, dinner, and a movie, all  around a central theme.

Nothing is Forever- The best of times will not last, which could be a depressing thought, until you realize that also means the worst of times will not last forever either.

Everything on earth is temporary. EVERYTHING. So, breathe in the good and be present for it, and breathe out the tough times.

Find Stillness and Nature- Find time to meditate, pray, or just count your breaths in and out every day.

Experts say that 20 minutes of meditation a day is optimal. But days can get away from you in a crisis, so if you can only close your eyes and count 10 breaths in and out, say a mantra 10 times, or say a quick prayer to your God, it is more than nothing at all.

Also, even five minutes of observing nature can do wonders. Going outside is preferable, but some days I would only be able to watch the swaying of the trees or clouds through a hospital window. But even that would lighten my spirit enough to bring me some peace.

Ask for and Accept Help if You Need it- Having too much pride can have a devastating consequence on your family and soul. If you need help, ask for it, and if it is off ered, take it. There is no shame in it.

Give Love and Help Others- Nothing will make you happier than helping someone else. There is no medicine as powerful as putting your woes aside and focusing on helping another person. Look around you and see how even in turmoil you still possess the ability to better the lives of those around you,  and then do it.

Find Balance- This is something everyone struggles with in their lives, even without a crisis. It is important. However, it is even more important amid a crisis.

You will not achieve that every day. The important part is not pressuring yourself into perfection of balance, only striving for it over the course of your journey.

If you try to focus on balance without judging yourself for not perfecting it, in the arch of time, you will find you achieved it.

Make Humor a Coping Tool- Of all the tools and lessons learned throughout my life’s journey nothing is more potent a healer than humor.

Don’t take life so seriously because life itself is constantly contradictory, indecisive, and unpredictable. It is a beautiful mess, and so are you. Learn to
laugh about it!

In the end you should accept right now that your life will not look exactly like you envisioned it.

Your life may never be the same after this pandemic. It’s ok and natural to struggle with it. Just know that struggle is how you will grow.

Remember this time of pandemic does not make up the sum of your life. But if you use it as a teacher and look at it with a wise perspective, you may see the time as one of the most valuable of your life. The beauty of it lies in the fact that you get to choose.

Destiny Haggett is an advocate for pediatric cancer research, former model, and public speaker. She currently runs a 962-seat live entertainment venue in Coconut Creek, Florida.

SoFlo Gardening: March 2021

What to Plant

Annuals/Bedding Plants: Dianthus and other cool-season annuals continue to flourish. Consider planting warm-season annuals such as angelonia, was begonia, and zinnia at the end of the month.

Bulbs: Plant dahlia, canna, and glorious bulbs for spring and summer flowering. Provide stakes as needed to support growth.

Herbs: Consider growing edible ginger. Plant rhizomes in well-drained soil in full to part sun.

Vegetables: Begin planting warm-season crops, such as beans, tomatoes, squash, and corn, early in the month for late spring harvest. Protect from frost.

What to Do

Azaleas: Prune azaleas when they have finished blooming to reduce their size and improve the form.

Shrubs and trees: Prune when the dormant season ends and new growth begins.

Palms and shrubs: Fertilize palms, azaleas, camellias, and other ornamental shrubs if needed. Choose a fertilizer in which at least 30% of its nitrogen is slow release.

Irrigation: Check your sprinkler system for problems such as broken or misaligned spray heads.

Source: University of Florida IFAS Extension

‘Closer Than Ever’ in a time of social distance

With the on-going blackout of Broadway, live theatre in New York and around the country has taken a hit since March when the COVID-19 pandemic began.

While many actors, singers, and dancers (not to mention directors, producers, technical staff , etc.) were on hiatus, theaters were searching for a way to remain relevant and keep their actors and staff employed.

Boca Raton-based MNM Theatre Company, a non-profit theatre company which has been producing professional musical theatre in Palm Beach County since 2014, was in residence at the Rinker Playhouse at the Kravis Center for the Performing Arts in West Palm Beach prior to the pandemic.

In 2019 the company produced “Man of La Mancha,” and “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum,” both large-scale productions.

When the quarantine hit, MNM was in rehearsal for a production of the musical, “Cabaret” and one week prior to opening night last March, had to lay off 65 staff.

“No one really knows what the future of live theatre looks like,” says Marcie Gorman, CEO of MNM Theatre Company. “Will live theatre return to a full-house? Will it be half or quarter capacity? Will the audience return? Will it be safe?”

It was questions like this that kept Gorman up at night and prompted her and her staff to reinvent their stage productions.

She and her director, Jonathan Van Dyke, came up with what they call a “hybrid” – streaming their live production, which was produced following safety and CDC protocols and utilizing “projections” (or, graphics) to enhance the experience.

For example, if a couple was supposed to touch or hug following the script, they did not touch in real-life, but the f lm production was edited to seem as if they were hugging or touching.

“We followed strict protocols throughout the process and were constantly mindful of the health and well-being of our cast and our crew,” says Gorman, a South Florida native. “COVID testing, masks, cleaning, and sanitizing – we did it all constantly.”

“But,” she says, “what’s so wonderful is that we created and performed live theatre that we will be able to share with a worldwide audience.”

“It’s not just a film, not just a live show, and not just a series of projections,” says Gorman, noting that the filming was shot using multiple cameras and angles over a span of five days in their Boca Raton warehouse/studio. “It’s a combination of all three and as far as we know, no one has ever done anything like it before.”

Most recently, they used these techniques in their production of composer David Shire and lyricist Richard Maltby Jr.’s musical song cycle, “Closer Than Ever,” a lively and fast-paced musical revue starring Aaron Bower, Johnbarry Green, and Carbonell Award-winners Shelley Keelor and Elijah Word, exploring the everyday struggles such as second marriages, aging, mid-life crises, working couples, and unrequited love in the modern world.

“Our director, Jonathan Van Dyke, has developed an innovative theatrical hybrid that marries live performances with video, audio, and projections,” says Gorman. “The result is an exciting and creative way to create live theatre during the pandemic.”

“The integrated projections allow for intimate onstage moments,” says Van Dyke on the company’s website. “The actors were each green-screened separately and the results were edited for projection, so they appear to interact with one another, even as they social distance.”

After watching the production on-line, composer Shire wrote in an email to Gorman, “The performances were honest and great, the musical direction, staging, production design, choreography all first rate, and your direction and overall conception of how to present “Closer Than Ever” and keep it COVID-safe were truly impressive.”

Additionally, on their website mnmtheatre.org, the theatre company has a project called #MNMSings, where former cast members and alumni share their favorite numbers from the production in which they starred.

Currently, Shelley Keelor sings her favorite, “Back on Base,” from “Closer Than Ever,” (“My scattered life had no foundation. Couldn’t seem to fi nd my space. Then all at once came inspiration. Now I’m back on base.”)

Gorman says it’s a way for the actors to stay involved, connect with the audience, and remain in people’s consciousness during these trying times.

As a producer, former actor and singer — Gorman describes herself as “very involved and a hands-on producer.”

“I’m at every show,” she says. “I’ve never missed one. Even when the director leaves after a production, I’m still there.”

“It’s an adrenaline rush and a chance for me to bond with the actors,” she says. “I love mentoring them, being a part of the production, watching them perform and revel when they go on to do something bigger and better.”

“It’s all about the connections with people that has made it all worthwhile,” she says. “That’s my thing. I love theatre!”

Visit https://www.mnmtheatre.org/ or on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/mnmtheatrecompany

Clips from “Closer Than Ever” can be viewed on their website https://www.mnmtheatre.org 

Marjory Stoneman Douglas memorial events

February 12
Day of Service and Love 

Only students and staff will be allowed on the grounds. It will be very similar to years past. This year’s seniors were freshmen when the shooting occurred on Valentine’s Day, 2018. There will be community service and campus projects, including campus beautification of Marjory’s Garden at the back of the school. There will also be a first responder’s breakfast.

February 14
Spreading The Love

10 a.m. to 5 p.m, Eagles’ Haven Wellness Center, 5655 Coral Ridge Dr.,Coral Springs.

Events will be outside in the parking lot, socially distanced. Masks are mandatory. Events will be centered on healing and “spreading the love” within the community. There will be arts and crafts, such as rock painting for the MSD Rock Garden, along with therapeutic activities like meditation and yoga. The families and community will have a space for grieving and remembering, with a candle lighting ceremony and benches. All clinicians will be present for individual counseling should the need arise. At the end of the day there will be a healing circle before transitioning to Pine Trails Park where the City of Parkland’s events will take place.

Pine Trails Park, 10555 Trails End, Parkland

The City of Parkland’s planned events will begin at 5:30 p.m. by the amphitheater. Social distancing and masks will be required. In lieu of an in-person service project as part of the Community Commemoration event, the City has collaborated with Food for the Poor on a fundraiser to build a home in an impoverished area of Honduras.

Therapists and the very popular therapy dogs from Canine Assisted Therapy will be available. 17 Memory Boards will be set up for people to write messages, with volunteers standing by to sanitize the permanent markers.

Spiritual Leaders will be taking the stage at 6 p.m., followed by a video presentation that focuses on the memory of the 17 people lost in the tragedy.

Virtual events
Run 4 Beigel – 5k Run/Walk
February 6 – February 14, 2021
https://runsignup.com/Race/FL/Parkland/Run4Beigel

NSU – 3 Years Later #MSDStrong
12 p.m., February 12
https://www.nova.edu/alumni/events/index.html

Make Our Schools Safe – #LIVEFORALYSSA Benefit
7 to 8:30 p.m. February 11
https://makeourschoolssafe.org/2nd-annual-live-for-alyssa-benefit/

Chris Hixon Memorial 5k Run/Walk
February 20, 2021
https://runsignup.com/Race/FL/Hollywood/ChrisHixonMemorialRun

CORAL SPRINGS COMMISSION

We remain optimistic that with the mass distribution of the COVID 19 vaccines, the end of this unprecedented pandemic is in sight.City  staff continue to work with the Florida Department of Health and Florida Department of Emergency Management to ensure COVID-19 testing remains readily available for residents, which is crucial to preventing the spread of the virus. Perhaps most importantly, providing access to COVID-19 vaccination sites remains one of  greatest priorities. Sign up for our text message option to receive real-time information about vaccination sites by texting the keyword CORALSPRINGS (one word) to 888-777.

February is Black History Month, and we are proud to celebrate the achievements and contributions of Black Americans in our city. We look forward to highlighting local black leaders in our city nominated by our community. For more details visit www.coralsprings.org/bhm.

This month and every day since February 14, 2018, we continue to remember and honor the 17 students and staff who died at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. We also remember all of those who  were injured and forever touched by the violence experienced that day.

Three years does not ease the heartache resulting from such loss  we will never forget and continue to provide meaningful ways to commemorate and honor the memories of: Alyssa Alhadeff, Scott Beigel, Martin Duque, Nicholas Dworet, Aaron Feis, Jaime Guttenberg, Christopher Hixon, Luke Hoyer, Cara Loughran, Gina Montalto, Joaquin Oliver, Alaina Petty, Meadow Pollack, Helena Ramsay, Alex Schachter, Carmen Schentrup, and Peter Wang.

For residents and community members who continue to struggle with mental health, especially in the wake of such loss, there are many resources available. Please call 2-1-1 for suicide intervention, those at risk can also text “FL” to 741-741 to immediately speak with a counselor. For additional information – we offer resources on our website at coralsprings.org/mentalhealth.

Since that tragic day, our city remains committed to ensuring the safety of our students and faculty. Our Police Department has demonstrated their commitment to ensuring school safety by implementing new technology connected directly into our Real Time Crime Center (RTCC). Using advanced software, security systems are integrated directly into the RTCC, improving response times and saving critical seconds during emergency situations – when time matters the most.

On February 19, residents will be able to celebrate all the reasons we love to call Coral Springs home at our Virtual State of the City.

For more details about this event, please visit https://www.coralsprings.org/living/events

We encourage you to remain vigilant to prevent the spread of COVID-19, continue to wear a facial covering, remain socially distanced, and follow good personal hygiene.

Broward’s ‘Hidden Heroes’ honored

Women from Parkland and Coral Springs were among a dozen Broward County residents recently honored as “Hidden Heroes,” by the Community Foundation of Broward.

These “Broward Nonprofit Hidden Heroes” were selected for helping their organizations to continue to provide valuable services to their clients and the community during the pandemic.

Tina Cortez, of Coral Springs, was honored for her work as Director of the Wildlife Hospital at the Sawgrass Nature Center & Wildlife Hospital, which also is in Coral Springs.

“Tina’s dedication to the animals is evident by the exceptional wildlife care and rehabilitation she provides,” said Robin Reccasina, CEO of the wildlife hospital.

“Tina designed a contactless drop off for the public to drop off injured animals at our gate and responded to every drop off herself. Having no volunteers, she quickly cross-trained other staff to assist in animal care. She transferred many of the animals that were most critical to her home so she could give them 24-hour care.”

Samantha “Sam” Kelly, of Parkland, was honored for her work as Vice President of Rehabilitation Programs at Lighthouse of Broward for the Blind & Visually Impaired in Fort Lauderdale.

“Sam provided vision and leadership,” said Ellyn Drotzer, CEO of Lighthouse. “We knew we had to pivot to an online platform, but our clients’ fundamental lack of sight made this seem almost impossible. Sam led the creative plan to provide uninterrupted rehabilitative services. We closed the building on Friday and by Monday, all of our programming was transformed into an electronic format and services were constructed using a web-based platform.”

Cortez and Kelly and their organizations are featured in a virtual awards presentation video via YouTube here:

Other Broward Nonprofit Hidden Heroes are:
–Timothy Curtin, Executive Director of
Community Services, Memorial Healthcare System, Hollywood

–Rebecca “Becky” Gould, STEM Center for Education and Career Development Manager, Museum of Discovery & Science, Fort Lauderdale

–Tammy Holder, Teaching Artist-in-Residence, Broward Performing Arts Foundation, Fort Lauderdale

–Xenia McFarling, Vice President of Rehabilitation Programs, LifeNet4Families, Fort Lauderdale

–Natasha McFarquhar, Emergency Basic Needs Navigator, Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition of Broward County, Lauderhill

–Alex Nesar, Director of Construction, Habitat for Humanity of Broward, Fort Lauderdale

–Belinda Paulicin, Director of Program Services, Gilda’s Club of South Florida, Fort Lauderdale

–Sandra Powell, Regional Laboratory Manager, Broward Health, Fort Lauderdale

–Patricia “Pejay” Ryan, Director of Marketing, Broward Education Foundation, Fort Lauderdale

–Elise Samet, Volunteer Program Manager, Canine Assisted Therapy, Oakland Park

Each of the winners received a $500 award and a prize package that included a 2-night staycation at the Bahia Mar Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel and gift certificates from multiple restaurants. In addition, each of their nonprofit organizations received a monetary award of up to $25,000. For more information, visit www.cfbroward.link/HiddenHeroes.

Local funeral directors shoulder COVID pandemic

With the COVID-19 pandemic putting stress on healthcare workers and first responders (not to mention the rest of us) what is it doing to local funeral homes and the people who staff them?

Deaths due to COVID in the first five months of the pandemic raised total deaths between 25 percent to 27 percent in Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Between March 15 and August 15, Broward County recorded 1,638 deaths due to COVID-19. In Palm Beach County, numbers were similar, with 1,671 deaths. A five-month average for Palm Beach County, pre-COVID, is 6,182; for Broward, 6,361, according to state statistics.

Those aren’t complete figures, explains the Palm Beach County Medical Examiner’s office, because tracking COVID deaths after August 15 was taken away from coroners offices.

Thomas Wojciechowski, location manager at Babione Funeral Home in Boca Raton, which services all faiths, including Catholics, Protestants and some non-Orthodox Jewish families, says during these trying times, they have found ways to accommodate their clients.

“It’s a unique and challenging time,” says Wojciechowski, emphasizing that they follow all CDC guidelines, including social distancing, sanitizing, allowing only 10 attendees in the chapel at one time, and utilizing Zoom for inclusive ceremonies.

Luckily, Wojciechowski says, they didn’t experience much of an increase in deaths over the previous non-COVID year, partially because Palm Beach County wasn’t as hard hit as other counties, such as Miami-Dade.

Babione offers a “remember when” Zoom panel where people can comment in real-time, share photos, and connect with other grieving friends and family.

“People are lonely and alone,” Wojciechowski says. “We make every effort to include everyone who wants to participate.” Currently, they are planning larger-scale remembrances six months down the line, waiting for more conducive times. “Families find comfort in knowing they can come together in the near future.”

Babione and Wojciechowski were lucky that they experienced no shortages of supplies and Wojciechowski is heartened that his staff and community have come together.

“People are going the extra mile,” he says. “It restores your hope in people.”

On a personal level, he says some days are more trying than others and he turns to both his daughter and his dog for comfort. Additionally, he says, “I find comfort knowing I’m helping families remember their loved ones and celebrating their lives.”

With a large elderly population of Jewish seniors in Boca Raton, many of whom have ties to hard-hit New York, the Jewish funeral homes worked long and hard in the beginning of March.

Steven Kanowitz, 78, the funeral director at Gutterman’s, which has locations in Boca Raton and Long Island, NY, was in the thick of the pandemic. His staff worked from 7:30 am-12 midnight from March through July. “They got up in the dark and went home in the dark,” he said. “It was the toughest time we ever had.”

“The pandemic is a total heartbreak both for families and for our staff,” says  Kanowitz, who has been in the business for 60 years. “It’s always on my mind.”

He noted that many casket companies were stressed for inventory, and flight delays and cancelations had a big impact on the transport of bodies from Florida to New York.

“I had to stay in constant contact with families to make sure their loved ones arrived safely,” he remembers.

Kanowitz, who describes himself as a happy person in a sad business, said he has empathy for people who’ve lost their loved ones.

“You need to be sensitive and put yourself in other people’s shoes,” he says.

Not a stranger to disasters, Kanowitz worked with many families in New York after Sept. 11 and knew 22 people personally that he had to bury.

“But,” he says, “You can’t compare; the COVID-19 pandemic is the toughest time we’ve seen.”

Keith Kronish of Kronish Funeral Services adjacent to Century Village in Boca Raton had a similar experience.

As a designated essential worker, Kronish never shut down and worked from home. Following CDC guidelines and those of the National Funeral Directors Association (NFDA), Kronish says funeral directors were quietly and respectfully taking care of their communities and doing everything they could.

“We worked around the clock, not by the clock,” he says.

He characterizes the difference between the virus’s impact in New York and Florida as the outbreak in New York was more acute, while the outbreak in Florida was more chronic. In New York, cemeteries, which usually accommodate six to eight burials a day had to do as many as 20.

“There’s not enough days in the week to accommodate all these burials,” Kronish says.

In some respects he said the virus has been an equalizer.

People of means who may have wanted to hire a private plane to fly their loved one home found that private planes didn’t accommodate caskets.

He recounts a sad story from one of the worst months of the outbreak. A traditionally observant family whose loved one died from the virus, had only the rabbi, the wife, and one of the three children at the gravesite service.

The other two children stayed in the car and in normal times, as many as 400 to 500 people could have been in attendance.

Despite the traditional Jewish prohibition of open caskets, Kronish said many families were comforted to view their loved ones in the casket for a last viewing.

“They want to know their loved one is at peace,” he
said.

Usually in Jewish tradition, there is a quick turnaround from the time of death to the time of burial, which was delayed by the circumstances, says Kronish.

Also, the traditional 7-day mourning period in Jewish tradition, known as the shivah, was canceled.

“Emotionally, this was very difficult for many families,” said Kronish.

“But, we adapted quickly,” he says. “We got very proficient on Zoom, our phones, and iPads and ordered enhanced camera and sound capabilities so that people in multiple states could participate in the services.”

On the other hand, Mike Sirowitz, director of the Beth-El Mausoleum in Boca Raton (the only mausoleum on the grounds of a synagogue in North America), said he has not seen a major increase in need over the past eight to nine months.

He estimates he’s had eight burials due to the virus.

However, like Wojciechowski at Babione, he says his numbers may not be a fair representation of the number of deaths, as the virus has hit harder in communities of color and lower socio-economic status.

He also notes that there was a parallel decrease in other causes of deaths, such as accidents (including car accidents) or heart attacks from playing sports, as people stayed home.

One change Sirowitz has seen is a 30 percent to 40 percent increase in pre-need sales. Usually, he says people are reluctant to prepare for this eventuality, but COVID-19 has brought the issue to the forefront.

“COVID-19 is a wake-up call for many and has created a sense of urgency,” he says.

With a vaccine on the horizon, things are looking up and spring offers new possibilities of hope.

“I don’t know when we will be through this, but I know we will come through it OK,” Wojciechowski says.

“People are feeling lonely and isolated in these trying times,” he says. “You can’t put a price on how much a hug means to someone when they’re grieving,” he says.

“I wish I could hug and console my clients,” says Wojciechowski. “I miss that and am looking forward to when I can hug them again.”

‘It takes a village’

“It takes a village” is an African proverb that means that an entire community of people must interact with children for them to experience and grow in a safe and healthy environment.

Many of us have commented in jest to our friends, “it takes a village” when trying to corral an unruly child at a birthday party or playdate. As we are having a difficult time, we lean on our friends to ease the burden.

This phrase is commonly spoken in the context of the parent’s point of view.

What about the child’s point of view?

Shouldn’t all children have the benefit of a village to experience life and grow in a safe and healthy environment?

What if the child does not grow up with parents, let alone an entire village? What if, instead of birthday parties and playdates, a child is forced to sleep on distant relatives’ couches, or worse, in a homeless shelter?

This is the life of many foster children, right in our back yard.

It is unfair and sad that so many children grow up bouncing around between group homes or private homes of “foster parents” because of their parental neglect, abuse, or drug use.

Not many people are willing to help even one foster child, let alone hundreds of foster children that need not only the essentials (shelter and food), but positivity, support, and guidance to become successful members of society.

In part, because of one woman’s time and dedication, foster children in Broward County have a village to call their own.

Jillian Smath is the CEO of SOS Children’s Villages, a residential foster care community in Coconut Creek. SOS has 15 buildings around a cul-de-sac – 13 foster homes, a community center, and an administrative office. The 13 homes foster approximately 60 children at any given time.

Jillian lives in Parkland with her husband, Lee, and daughters, Emily, 16 and Marlee, 14.

Before being promoted to CEO in 2015, Jillian started at SOS in 1997 as a case manager. Jillian learned about SOS while working for the Department of Children and Families (“DCF”).

While at DCF, Jillian remembers having a little girl on her caseload who was bouncing from foster home to foster home as nobody wanted to keep her for any extended period. She was a very outspoken and spirited little girl, which presented a challenge for many foster parents.

One of Jillian’s coworkers told her about SOS and she made the referral. Jillian brought her out to SOS for an interview and immediately fell in love with what she saw. She placed this little girl in March of 1997 and then read the classifieds every day in hopes that a job opportunity would open. A few months later a position became available.

“The little girl is now 34,” Jillian says proudly, “a mom and a part of my life – she calls me her godmother.”

Over the past 23 years Jillian’s efforts securing donations and grants and overseeing the foster parents have transformed SOS into one of the largest foster care villages in the state.

Jillian has met every child that ever lived at SOS, approximately 800 children. She has seen the impact SOS has made on these children as many of them go on to college or a trade school and stay in Broward County. Without SOS, these children would not have been given the opportunity to succeed. Their success makes our entire community stronger.

Jillian remains in touch with most of “her children” – many of whom now have families of their own. Her children continuously remind her that they owe their success to SOS.

The holidays are special times for families. Jillian is helping create a village for those who would be alone.

To learn more about SOS Broward or how you can donate, please visit www.sosflorida.com.

Philip Snyder, Esq. is a partner at Lyons and Snyder, a Plantation law firm specializing in personal injury.

CORAL SPRINGS COMMISSION

Happy New Year to all our residents and local businesses! As we put what was an unprecedented year behind us, it is important for us to focus on the future and what the promise of a new year can bring to the City of Coral Springs.

As we start the year, we encourage you to be optimistic, embrace diversity, and work together to ensure our city is the best community to live, work, and raise a family.

We look forward to kicking off strategic planning with city staff. This type of preparation assists us to clearly identify our new initiatives, and creates a path to meeting the needs of our residents and business owners.

The input we receive from our residents, the very people who elected us to hold office, plays a large role in our decision making. Participation in public meetings, sending us an email, connecting with the city on social media, and using the My Coral Springs App are all ways you can offer input and help guide our city’s direction.

As the demolition of One Financial Plaza continues, making way for the development of Cornerstone, we will start to see great improvement of our Downtown area. This revitalization in the heart of Coral Springs, will not only improve revenue, but will also create a true sense of place. In the coming year we look forward to seeing plans for Village Square, the creation of a nature trail at Kiwanis park, and the development of a Surf Park at Sportsplex.

With the distribution of promising vaccines, we are hopeful to see the end of the COVID-19 pandemic. Our city has held a long-standing partnership with the Florida Department of Health, to ensure our city receives vaccines for distribution once they are made available for mass distribution. It is important to stay informed about the potential for this availability by texting the keyword CORALSPRINGS (one word) to 888-777 or visiting our website www.coralsprings.org.

We continue to serve as a host city for two free, state-run, public COVID-19 test sites: Mullins Hall, 10150 NW 29th Street, Coral Springs and at the Panthers IceDen, 3299 Sportsplex Drive. For instructions, days, times of operation and closures, follow the city on social media or visit our website.

As we look to 2021 with optimism, we are hopeful that with a vaccine, we can plan for and welcome back exciting events and activities this year! Stay informed about important city updates and events by following us on social media via Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Nextdoor. We wish you all a safe and healthy 2021!

MSD victim’s dad counseled by President-elect Biden

Two dates are at the center of Fred Guttenberg’s recently released Find the Helpers — Sept. 11, 2001 and Feb. 14, 2018.

The small but affecting book recounts the lives and heart-rending deaths of Guttenberg’s brother, Michael, a first-responder at Ground Zero who as a result later died of pancreatic cancer, and his daughter, Jaime, a 14-year-old student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who was among the 17 slain in the mass shooting in Parkland, Fla.

But for Guttenberg, another date promises hope: Jan. 20, 2021 — Inauguration Day, when Joe Biden will be sworn in as the 46th President of the United States.

Biden’s election and the transition away from four years of the presidency of Donald Trump promise more than wishful thinking for Guttenberg. The 54 year-old Broward man has spoken often with Biden, who is notable among the “helpers” at the heart of Guttenberg’s book.

“For me, the Vice President has been a helper,” Guttenberg writes in the book, released in September by Mango Publishing. “He has given me the advice that I needed to go forward from the worst moment in my life, often speaking to me about mission and purpose. That advice has formed my life and my advocacy since.”

In the aftermath of the MSD shooting, Guttenberg and his wife, Jennifer, started the nonprofit Orange Ribbons for Jaime to advocate for gun safety. Guttenberg has been ubiquitous and vocal in his activism.

He has testified in U.S. Senate hearings and been invited to speak at the Democratic National Convention this past summer as well as speaking his piece at nationally televised town halls, marches and vigils, occasionally clashing publicly with Washington political figures, like Florida’s Republican senator Marco Rubio, who back de- regulating gun ownership.

Invited to attend Trump’s last State of the Union address this past February, Guttenberg was escorted out of the House chamber after standing shouting at the president, who had taken time to express his support for continued liberalized Second Amendment rights.

Biden “has an understanding of what Americans go through,” Guttenberg said in a recent interview.

Biden’s plan to address gun violence is detailed and, as Guttenberg notes, backed by a majority of Americans. Among the proposals are repealing a law that protects gun manufacturers from legal liability, banning the sale of assault rifles and high-capacity magazines paired with nationwide buy-backs, closing loopholes in background checks before gun purchases, and allowing states to implement “red flag” laws.

Biden also wants to enact legislation to support survivors of gun violence and their communities.

“He plans to treat gun violence like the public health emergency it is,” Guttenberg said. “His commitment is real.”

Guttenberg says in Find the Helpers that his life’s goal is “to break the gun lobby,” and to help elect lawmakers who support gun safety and defeat those who don’t. How his aims will dovetail with Biden’s plans, Guttenberg doesn’t yet know, but his voice is hopeful and resounding with the inspiration that suffuses his book.

“I can’t say what my role will be, but I intend to have a role,” he said.

Find the Helpers: What 9/11 and Parkland Taught Me About Recovery, Purpose, and Hope

by Fred Guttenberg

Forward by Bradley Whitford

Mango Publishing, Sept. 22, 2020

Hardcover, 198 pages (18,000 copies currently in print)

Available at Amazon (hardcover and Kindle), Target.com, Barnes & Noble
and Indiebound.org.

List price: $19.95

Notable reviews by U.S. Rep. Eric Swalwell, former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords, Alyssa Milano, Debra Messing, former Congressman David Jolly, and Glenn Kirschner, legal analyst and former U.S. Army prosecutor.

Find the Helpers was named among the Best Political Books of 2020 by MarieClaire.com and has been noted in newspapers across the country, including the Virginian-Pilot, Twin Cities Pioneer-Press and Columbus Dispatch, in addition to the South Florida Sun Sentinel and Miami Herald.

‘Jaime’s Law’ to be re-introduced to Florida legislature

Florida Phoenix

Legislation has been filed for next year’s session of the Florida Legislature that would close a loophole that can allow people barred from owning firearms because of criminal histories to nevertheless purchase ammunition without a background check.

The proposal (HB 25) is similar to a bill that failed during last year’s session. It’s called “Jaime’s Law,” after Jaime Guttenberg, aged 14, one of the 17 people killed in the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland.

“As a graduate of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, nothing is more important to me than preventing another tragedy like what our community experienced from ever happening again,” bill sponsor Dan Daley, a Democrat from Coral Springs, said in written statement.

“Jaime’s Law is a huge step in the right direction towards ensuring that weapons and ammunition stay out of dangerous hands. It’s also common sense and does not restrict the rights of legal gun owners,” he said.

Bartenders are required to card people who order beers, he noted. “Why isn’t a vendor required by law to ensure that someone seeking to purchase ammunition is legally allowed to do so?”

Daley filed similar legislation last year, as did Sen. Lauren Book, also a Broward Democrat, but it failed.

Existing law requires licensed gun dealers to run background checks on buyers and to refuse purchasers who have felony convictions, histories of domestic violence, or mental illness. But the law doesn’t apply to ammo sales.

Daley’s bill would require that purchase records for law-abiding people remain confidential. It cites an existing ban on any gun registration lists. The Legislature when passing that ban declared such a list “an instrument that can be used as a means to profile innocent citizens and to harass and abuse American citizens based solely on their choice to own firearms and exercise their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms as guaranteed under the United States Constitution.”

Following the Parkland shootings, the 2018 Legislature voted to let
some school personnel carry guns on campus and the next year to allow teachers to carry under some circumstances.

Gun reform advocate Fred Guttenberg, Jaime’s father, has endorsed the proposal.

“With approximately 400 million weapons already on the streets, we must make it harder for those who intend to kill to do so,” he said.

“Prohibited purchasers of weapons are also prohibited from buying ammunition, but there is no mechanism in place to keep that ammunition out of their hands. We must close this ammunition loophole and this bill is a step in the right direction to do it. Jaime’s Law will help save lives immediately.”

Visit www.floridaphoenix.com for more news on state politics.

Rewind: Somerset Academy Christmas parade

One of the parents at Somerset Parkland Academy, Jennifer Knight, approached the school the week before Thanksgiving with an idea to bring the on-campus kids together with the virtual students at one fun holiday event to give the kids a sense of normalcy during this crazy 2020 year.

With the support of Principal Geyler Castro and Vice- Principal Meg Campbell, Jennifer began raising money through sponsorships and in-kind donations to bring the Winter Caravan to life. She recruited her husband, Patrick, to deal with all the logistics and set-up work and the project began to grow in size and scope as they had to plan how to entertain nearly 200 cars coming through a caravan before they even reached the final stations ofPolar Express, Hanukkah, Frozen, Grinch, Candyland, Santa’s Workshop, and the Photo with Santa.

On December 17, 2020, each attendee made their way around the school parking lot, while enjoying costumed characters and stilt walkers parading around the caravan. DJ Cruz provided a fun Christmas light show with games.

Somerset Parkland wanted to end the year with flair as this Winter Caravan is another creative idea to allow the virtual students to experience the same holiday event as the in-person students.

At the end of the day, it was all for the kids and the joy on their faces made it all worth it.