A holiday gift guide

With the holidays right around the corner, there’s no better time to find something that’s special and unique. We’ve curated this year’s gift guide with creative items from our communities. Friends, family, and even pets will love these handcrafted, one-of-a-kind gifts, including some exclusive promotions for our readers.

LittleLovelyDay

etsy.com/Shop/LittleLovelyDay

Custom-beaded jewelry designed and made in Parkland! All handmade by Bridget Pearsall, every item can be customized to suit your individual wants and needs. Shop the many selections of predesigned items, or contact Pearsall with your special requests. It always feels great to be able to give someone a more personalized gift. You may not know where to start, but she will work with you to create the best jewelry possible for the person you have in mind. Grab something beautiful for your family, friends, teachers, coworkers, or the most important person, yourself! Wholesale orders are also available, and you can contact Pearsall via Instagram or Etsy with any inquiries.

Use promo code PARKLAND10 for 10% off Instagram: @littlelovelyday

That Mom With a Laser, Inc.

etsy.com/shop/ThatMomWithALaser

Discover the charm of locally crafted gifts by That Mom With a Laser. Known for her fun personality on social media, this local handmade influencer offers personalized treasures perfect for the holiday season. From wooden ornaments to custom-engraved cutting boards, find unique gifts with a local touch. Explore online for unforgettable presents this year. Visit @thatmomwithalaser on Instagram  or TikTok to see how she makes her creations come to life!

Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/ThatMomWithALaser

Naturloom

Naturloom.com

Naturloom is a Parkland-based, small family business. Products are made of 100% organic Turkish cotton, all of which have GOTS-certified textile. Therefore, everything is organic and natural at all stages of cotton, from seed to product. This business has a wide selection of products, such as muslin blanket throws in all sizes, baby blankets, pillow shams, and oversized beach towels. Their inspiration comes from nature, as can be seen in the company name and the color scheme.

Use promo code NATURLOOM10 for 10% off

Lei Custom Collars

leicustomcollars.com

Designed with the utmost care and made specifically for your own furry friend, Lei Custom Collars offers personalized, handmade pet collars with matching tags made from the highest-quality leather and crystals for your unique and custom order. Their love for dogs is their inspiration. They have always been surrounded by dogs and showcase their passion by creating unique designs that reflect the inspiring connection between humans and their pets. For new products and promotions, follow them on Instagram and Facebook at leicustomcollars.

Use promo code PARKLANDER for a 10% discount on your order

3GGlamGifts

3GGlamGifts, based in Parkland, creates personalized gifts for all occasions. Customized party favors, apparel, jewelry boxes, canvas pouches, gift baskets, college items, and more are offered in any theme and in any budget! Order through direct message on Instagram and Facebook at 3GGlamGifts.

Mention PARKLANDER for 10% off your holiday gifts

Don’t Forget the Gift

etsy.com/shop/DontForgetTheGift  

When looking for a unique personalized gift, look no further than Don’t Forget the Gift. They specialize in personalized Hanukkah menorahs, candlesticks, and mahjongg-themed snack bowls. These gift items are locally made, and they make the perfect gift for the special person in your life. Check out their full selection in their Etsy store.

Parklander readers can use the code PKLD10 to receive 10% off orders

My Kid’s Dream

mykidsdream.com

My Kid’s Dream is a magical online store where childhood dreams take a tangible shape. It is a family-run business with a simple mission: to bring joy to kids’ lives by creating personalized blankets, canvases, and customized books. This store offers the perfect gifts for the little ones in your life!

Use promo code PARKLANDER for 15% off any item

Authentic Venetian masks in Florida

While known for their exquisite detail and beauty, Venetian masks are also grand symbols of history. The art of Venetian mask-making dates back to the 13th century. For hundreds of years, aristocrats wore these masks to protect their identities while engaging in behaviors that could have tarnished their reputation, like gambling and frequenting bars.

Nowadays, Venetian masks are worn by those attending Venice’s world-renowned Carnival, an annual celebration synonymous with elaborate masks and costumes that attracts close to three million visitors each year.

In 2001, Disney decided to bring traditional Venetian mask-making to Orlando, and it sought out authentic Venetian mask-makers for a short-term contract at its Italy Pavilion in the EPCOT theme park. Twenty-two years later, Balocoloc has become a permanent fixture there, and many of its patrons have become collectors of the company’s exquisite masks.

“Disney wanted to have an artisan in EPCOT making masks,” explains Giorgio Lurcotta, who heads up Balocoloc’s Florida operation. “My parents flew over from Italy to have a conversation with them. We decided to do a test for six months, and that was it. We’ve been here ever since.”

Balocoloc was originally founded in Venice by a group of young artisans in 1978 to make wooden frames, necklaces, and other crafts. But when the famous Carnival returned to Venice in 1979 after a 200-year ban by the Holy Roman Emperor Francis II, like many other artisans in the city, Balocoloc turned its focus to mask-making.

“All of the artisans with skills started making masks at that point,” confirms Lurcotta.

When Balocoloc’s original founders decided to close the company, Lurcotta’s mother took over and expanded the product line to include capes, hats, and dresses from the 13th and 14th centuries. Since then, Balocoloc has been a family affair.

When Lurcotta and his brother Flavio first arrived at EPCOT in 2001, they hand-made all of the masks, which are created of papier-mâché, at the shop. It’s a lengthy process that requires precision and patience.

“We first have to mold clay to create the face we want to become a mask,” explains Lurcotta. “Once we have the shape done, we pour plaster on top of it to create a mold. When the plaster dries, we take the clay out and have a mold. From that mold, we have wet paper with glue that we put inside the mold. Once the paper dries, you can pull it out of the mold, and at that point you have a mask.”

After it comes out of the mold, the mask still needs to be sanded, painted, resanded, and have its edges capped before it’s ready for the paint, bells, feathers, and other elaborate decorations Venetian masks are known for. This finishing process takes an additional two to three days to complete.

While Lurcotta still does customization work here, almost all of Balocoloc’s masks are now imported from its shop in Venice, where production time is much faster. “There’s so many designs in Venice,” says Lurcotta. “We try to bring to America all the best that we can make.”

Balocoloc has close to 800 different models of masks in its collection, which can range from $50 for a simple eye mask to $1,200 for an elaborate piece. Lurcotta keeps about 100-150 masks in stock at the company’s store in EPCOT, La Gemma Elegante, at all times. “No two masks are the same,” he says of these handmade creations. “They’re all one of a kind.”

For those who are “in the know,” Balocoloc also has a special collection of macabre masks not on display. “We call them the scary masks,” says Lurcotta. “We have them all year long, but during Halloween we pull them out.”

One of the artists who makes these scary masks is Lurcotta’s cousin, Mauro. “His style is completely different. It’s good for Halloween,” affirms Lurcotta. “The way that he makes masks, they’re so unique. He always writes a story behind them based on how he felt during that day. It’s different than the other artists who are following a pattern.”

Though popular, these scary masks are not typical of Venice’s Carnival. “Carnival is the celebration before Lent, so everyone’s celebrating with dancing, eating, and having fun. The masks represent that moment. They’re very happy, colorful masks,” says Lurcotta, who prefers to keep these happier masks on display.

If you aren’t going to be up in Orlando anytime soon, you can catch a glimpse of Balocoloc masks at the Wiener Museum of Decorative Arts, which recently relocated to 3250 N. 29th Ave. in Hollywood. Though currently closed, the museum plans to reopen by early November.

For more information about Balocoloc, visit www.balocoloc.com.

KEF! Street artist seeks and spreads harmony

Going with the flow is one way to describe the urban art of German-born street artist Simon Röhlen, 34, who goes by the street or tag name “KEF!”

While the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the word kef as a “state of dreamy tranquility,” the artist chose the name to mean a scar on your skin, comparing the scar to the street tag, both having a long-lasting impact.

KEF! and his work will be part of the exhibit “Burner: The Exhibition,” at the Onessimo Fine Art Gallery in West Palm Beach through Nov. 12, as part of its North American tour.

A burner piece is described as a complicated, often legal street artwork that takes time and effort and makes a style statement. It’s so good that it “burns off the wall.”

The traveling exhibit of urban art features some of the most recognizable names in the graffiti and pop culture art movement, such as Banksy, Anthony Lister, Mr. Doodle, Kaws, Vinnie Nylon, Takashi Murakami, Reka One, Ben Eine, Dotmaster, Craig Knight, Harry Bunce, Henri Lamy, Dalek (aka James Marshall), Magnus Gjoen, Pure Evil, and the Connor Brothers, a pseudonym for British artists James Golding and Mike Snelle.

The two became known for their Pulp Fiction series, which uses stylized pinup artwork from dime novels juxtaposed with captions like “I drink to make other people more interesting” and “I don’t want to go to heaven,” with giclées on display at the exhibit.

“I am excited to present KEF!, a talented and influential artist, in person in my gallery, as well as some of the most important urban artists making a name in the contemporary art world,” says Debra Onessino, principal of Onessimo Fine Art Gallery.

“This exhibition opens doors to new conversations around art, freedom of expression, societal issues, and genres of work that have been at the forefront of the global contemporary art movement,” she says.

KEF! has on display the 2021 43-by-31-inch acrylic on canvas painting, “Deepness of the Moment #9,” with its strong black-and-white swirling lines and blocks of color; the 2023 “Slow Flowing River #8,” a 28-by-20-inch acrylic on canvas, the bold black lines offset by a Studebaker blue background and chunks of yellow; and the large-scale, 80-by-86-inch 2023 “Crescent Moon Fills My Heart #2,” acrylic on canvas, accented with touches of yellow, blue, and red.

KEF! began experimenting with graffiti art at the age of 14 and left his home base of Berlin for London in 2013, where his career took off.

His work can be seen at the Haus in Berlin, the Park Lane Hong Kong Hotel, and the Commerce building in Baton Rouge, LA, as well as on large-scale murals in the U.S., China, England, France, Germany, Guatemala, Israel, Spain, and Wales.

Retailer Urban Outfitters commissioned KEF! to design interiors for their stores in London, Berlin, Stuttgart, and Hong Kong. One of his most exciting commissions, he says, was the interior design he created in 2017 for the Park Lane Hong Kong Hotel’s SKYE Roofbar, with the panorama of the city and harbor below.

“The view was just crazy over the skyline of Hong Kong,” KEF! remembers, noting that this project launched his international art career.

With a solo exhibition in Germany at the Museum Goch, a collab with Luis Vuitton, and representing Germany as a part of the official artistic efforts of @visitqatar and the FIFA World Cup in Qatar for last year’s games, his career scored more than a few goals.

Finding inspiration in nature and in the practice and rituals of Buddhism, KEF! is a devotee of Pure Land Buddhism, one of the most popular forms of Buddhism in eastern Asia, and has been to meditation retreats in China and most recently in Taiwan.

His art, a series of swirling and hypnotic patterns—he doesn’t paint lines or straight edges—is intended to promote peace and harmony in keeping with his spiritual beliefs.

“I find the flow relaxing,” KEF! says about his signature style. “It makes me calm to paint these flowing lines, and this is important to me.”

Not connecting with the traditional words and letters of graffiti-style artists, he discovered that these large-scale, patterned murals, using geometric abstract lines, resonate more with him.

“My work allows me to express what is inside of me,” says the self-taught artist who once apprenticed to be an industrial mechanic. Although he says he knew it wasn’t for him after the first week, KEF! persevered and finished the 3½-year apprenticeship.

“I took it as motivation to push my art career forward,” he says. “At the end, it was good, because it brought me to a more satisfying career.”

An admirer of London urban artist Stik (“his work is simple, but with a strong meaning”), known for his iconic depictions of stick figures, KEF! also has an appreciation for the classic art of Russian avant-garde artist Kazimir Malevich.

“His work is abstract, but very spiritual,” KEF! says. “When I read the meaning of his work, I really feel his spirit.”

As successful as he is at a young age, KEF! says his ultimate career goal would be to have an exhibit at MoMa in New York City.

“That’s when I would know I’ve really made it,” he says with a qualifier, also represented by his Buddhist philosophy and practice. “I would try to keep a beginner’s mind,” he says. “It’s unhealthy to focus on an end point. I want to keep my fire and curiosity alive.”

He says, “Success is more internal than external. As long as I can grow internally and be successful each day, I try to keep a balance between my material and spiritual goals.”

A seeker and a searcher on a spiritual journey, KEF! believes the world needs more harmony and tries to impart that message through his work.

His advice? “Try to relax when you observe my work,” he says. “Switch off your mind and try to feel my work emotionally and spiritually, and summon some inner peace and harmony.”

KIF! comments, “I hope my work conveys these feelings into my viewers’ lives so they can feel more calm, centered, and peaceful.”

Onessimo Fine Art Gallery is located at 4530 PGA Blvd., Palm Beach Gardens. For more information, visit www.Onessimofineart.com or call (561) 355-8061. Meet KEF! in person Nov. 10 from 5 to 8 p.m. or Nov. 12 from 2 to 5 p.m.

Reducing your breast cancer risk

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and the perfect time to learn how to reduce your risk by eating right and engaging in physical activity. While there is no guaranteed way to prevent breast cancer, a healthy lifestyle can help reduce your risk of developing it and boost your odds of full recovery if you are diagnosed with it.

All women are vulnerable to developing breast cancer, but certain women are at a higher risk. Although some risk factors can’t be controlled, such as family history, gene mutations, and onset of menstruation and menopause, other risk factors can be reduced by focusing on nutrition and lifestyle choices.

Weight is closely connected with breast cancer risk, and risk increases for those with overweight or obesity after reaching menopause. Engaging in regular physical activity is associated with reduced breast cancer risk and is one way to help promote a healthy body weight. For optimal health, aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity most days of the week.

Certain foods—high in dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients—may help protect against some cancers. The following foods include a variety of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains:

• Cruciferous and dark, leafy green vegetables:spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cabbage, collards, and kale
  • Fruits:citrus, berries, pomegranate, and cherries
  • Whole grains:oats, whole-grain barley, bulgur, whole rye, and whole-grain breads and cereals
  • Legumes:beans, peas, lentils, and soybeans

Alcohol intake also is linked with breast cancer risk. If you are a female of legal age and choose to drink, limit your intake to no more than one serving of alcohol per day. (A serving of alcohol is considered 1½ fluid ounces of hard liquor, 5 fluid ounces of wine, or 12 fluid ounces of beer.)

An oncology registered dietitian nutritionist (RDN) will do the following:

• Help individuals find the best food choices and ways to eat based on how they feel and what they like. For example, small, frequent snacks may be easier to tolerate than a few larger meals.
  • Help patients determine if supplements and nutrient-rich beverages and foods are needed to get the nutrition they need.
  • Answer questions about foods, supplements, nutrients, and diet. There is an infinite number of sources of information about diet and cancer.
  • Help patients process the information they’ve found and discuss the options that may be most beneficial.

Food and nutrition are critical parts of successful cancer treatment. Nutrients support healing and the growth of healthy cells in your body; they also go a long way toward helping you maintain energy and strength.

A personalized nutrition plan based on an individual’s likes, dislikes, lifestyle, symptoms, and concerns is an integral part of cancer treatment. An RDN trained in oncology nutrition is a key part of the medical team working with people with cancer.

Once cancer treatment is complete, maintaining a nutritious eating routine can help the body heal and offer protection for the future. Center your plate to focus on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Studies have also found that people who limit added sugars, red meat, and alcohol have lower risks of certain types of cancer. Food choices should be easy to chew, swallow, digest, and absorb, even if high in fat.

This type of eating routine is also good for heart health and can help reduce the risk of other chronic diseases.

Meet Big Poppa Farms: a Parkland animal sanctuary

Nestled on two and a half acres near the Parkland Equestrian Center is an animal sanctuary called Big Poppa Farms. When Jodi and Pete Sullivan first purchased the property in 2017, they had no idea that in a few years’ time, they would be running a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in their own backyard.

“It wasn’t something that was planned,” affirms Jodi. “It just kind of happened for us. It kind of rescued us.”

Pete had always wanted a Highland cow, but due to heat concerns, they decided that it wasn’t the best idea, so they opted for his second choice, a large draft horse. When Jodi began searching for one online, she found a Belgian draft horse in a kill pen up north and decided to rescue it.

Jodi’s research also led to a woman who frequents these auctions and acts as a buyer for rescuers, sending photos and videos of the animals and then bidding on the ones that rescuers choose to save. This woman secured the Sullivans’ first rescue horse, Samson.

While purchasing Samson may have been simple, getting him to Florida was not. “Any animal purchased at auction has to be vetted and quarantined,” explains Jodi. “You can’t just bring any animal in from another state. It has to have a health certificate and a negative Coggins test.” A Coggins test is done to ensure that a horse is not carrying equine infectious anemia.

Between health care and transportation, costs can run thousands of dollars per horse. Despite the hefty bills, Jodi and Pete continue to rescue animals from auctions. “She wants to help animals instead of just purchasing them,” says Pete of Jodi.

While some may not consider animals purchased from auctions as rescues, Jodi and Pete are quick to remind them what fate awaits many of the animals at these auctions. “You’re bidding against kill buyers,” explains Jodi. “Kill buyers go to these auctions and they ship these animals to Canada and Mexico to be slaughtered.”

When deciding which of the many animals at auction belong at Big Poppa Farms, Jodi relies on her intuition. “I have to feel it in my heart,” she says.

And when her intuition kicks in, there is no stopping Jodi, as evidenced by Red, a quarterhorse she purchased online from an auction on New Year’s Eve while at sea. “We were on a cruise ship and she’s on her phone watching an auction,” recalls Pete.

When Jodi saw Red, she knew he was the one. Pete didn’t want another horse at the time, but Jodi refused to take no for an answer. “I told him, you’re gonna gamble, I’m buying a horse,” laughs Jodi.

As Pete and Jodi acquired more animals, Jodi left her corporate job to focus on the farm full-time. “At that point, we were just doing stuff for us,” explains Pete. “Eventually, it evolved into a sanctuary.”

Among the animals that currently call Big Poppa Farms home are Cher, a miniature donkey so wild they had to hire a cowboy to help catch her, and Albert, another miniature donkey bonded to Cher. There’s also Zeus, the draft horse; Tortilla the tortoise who lives in a miniature replica of the main barn; and a black three-legged cat who underwent amputation after being shot in the leg but—incredibly—hasn’t lost her affection toward humans. There is also a lovable group of rabbits, pigs, dwarf ponies, miniature horses, and two bearded dragons.

Pete initially wanted the farm to remain private, but as the number of animals grew, so did the cost of running the farm. In order to keep their operation sustainable, Jodi and Pete decided to open their doors to the Parkland community in February of this year and filed for 501(c)(3) status, which was recently granted.

“I knew I wanted to do something with kids and the community and events,” exclaims Jodi, who was thrilled about opening Big Poppa Farms to the public.

This past summer, Jodi hosted her first summer learning experience for children. Instead of charging parents a fee, Jodi asked that the kids bring a food donation for the animals. “I think it’s more important that parents take the kids shopping and let them choose what food to bring from my list. Then they can see how we chop that food up and give it to the animals,” explains Jodi.

Despite their newfound nonprofit status, Jodi and Pete are not looking to become a huge entity. Instead, they are focused on making a positive impact in Parkland. “I want to become something for our community that people can enjoy, especially the children,” enthuses Jodi. “It’s so nice to see a child who may have been afraid of an animal eventually come up and hug it. You see a smile on their face they’re not going to get anywhere else in Parkland.”

For Pete, Big Poppa Farms is about compassion. “I don’t think there’s enough compassion in the world,” he reflects. “So if we can give a little bit of that here, that’s a good thing.”

Big Poppa Farms is open to the public by appointment only. They offer tours of the property, meet-and-greets with the animals, and seasonal events.

The farm is also available for private events, such as children’s birthday parties, and offers a unique venue in addition to an immaculate barn and menagerie of animals—an antique tearoom straight out of a little girl’s dream. The room, a nod to Jodi’s former antique business “She’s So Shabby,” comes complete with vintage costumes for dress-up, and a pair of bearded dragons with their own party outfits.

For more information about Big Poppa Farms, visit www.bigpoppafarms.com.

Everglades restoration brings back wading birds

Florida is renowned for its striking wading birds. More than a dozen species make their home here, from the Snowy Egret to the pink-plumed Roseate Spoonbill to the Tricolored Heron. Beloved by locals, these birds also draw visitors from across the globe looking to get a glimpse of their colorful plumage.

Not only are these birds an important part of the economy, they’re also key indicators of ecological health. Wading birds depend on healthy wetlands, coastlines, and the Everglades for their survival.

“Wading birds tell us when the Everglades are healthy,” explains Kelly Cox, director of Everglades policy at Audubon Florida, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the preservation of birds. “When they’re in the right place at the right times of the year in the right numbers, we know that we’re getting the water right in the Everglades. If wading birds can successfully raise chicks, it’s likely that other species that depend on the Everglades are going to be healthy too.”

Wading bird populations have faced their fair share of challenges in Florida throughout history. In the 1800s, many species of wading birds were hunted almost to extinction for the sake of women’s fashion. The birds’ colorful feathers were collected and used as adornments for hats. “There was one point in U.S. history when feathers from wading birds were more valuable than gold per ounce,” says Cox. The decimation caused by the plume trade precipitated the creation of Audubon Florida.

In the 1900s, urban and agricultural development of the Everglades significantly impacted wading bird populations. Water control efforts drastically changed South Florida’s landscape, destroying their habitats. Dredging canals and plumbing out water from the Everglades eliminated floodplains and sloughs—foraging areas for wading birds—and interfered with the natural flow of water that the birds depended on for successful breeding conditions.

“Wading birds can’t wade in a 15-foot canal,” explains Cox. “They have no way to catch prey in that type of environment. As a result of that, we started to see their populations really decline.”

Everglades restoration projects, which began in full force around 2000, have helped many of Florida’s wading bird species recover. “We’ve already started to see measurable benefits from returning those water flows to as close to we can get to the way Mother Nature designed it,” affirms Cox.

A prime example of this success is the Kissimmee River Restoration Project. In the 1960s, the Kissimmee River was channelized by cutting and dredging a 30-foot-deep canal, which eliminated a floodplain and destroyed the ecosystem. Ninety percent of the area’s wading bird population disappeared. “We just wrapped up the restoration of that river, and the number of birds that have returned to that area is unbelievable,” enthuses Cox. “It confirms our theory that if you give the wading birds a chance, they will come back. But it has to be under the right ecological conditions.”

A recent initiative in Broward and Palm Beach counties will improve the habitat that these birds need while also safeguarding water quality for the people of South Florida.

In May of this year, the South Florida Water Management District and the Army Corps of Engineers broke ground on the North Phase of the Central Everglades Planning Project (CEPP), a restoration initiative that will restore water levels in the Central Everglades, bring more water south to replenish Everglades National Park, and send fresh water to Florida Bay.

“In general, we have really limited the ability of water to flow south into Everglades National Park, and subsequently Florida Bay,” explains Cox. “That water flow has been so stifled that in some parts of Florida Bay, we’ve seen hypersaline conditions because there’s not enough fresh water.” When water is hypersaline, it’s saltier than typical seawater, making it difficult for fish and seagrass—which wading birds feed on—to survive.

CEPP North will include the construction of seven new structures and one new canal as well as the improvement of 18 miles of canals already in operation. The North Phase is expected to be completed by 2029.

The other two phases of CEPP are the South and New Water phases, which are already underway. CEPP is a key part of the joint state-federal partnership to restore America’s Everglades, known as the Comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan. “Everglades restoration is the largest ecosystem restoration project in the entire world,” confirms Cox.

Wading birds are the measure of success for these projects. Every year, the South Florida Water Management District—the primary agency charged with overseeing Everglades restoration—puts out a Wading Bird Report in collaboration with Audubon Florida. The report includes data on the birds’ nesting behavior throughout the Everglades. The greater the number of nests and hatchlings, the better the birds are doing. In 2021, the Everglades experienced its second-highest nesting effort for many wading bird species in 80 years.

“Conditions are improving for wading birds across the Everglades, which suggests that Everglades restoration is helping,” says Cox. “It’s improving foraging conditions for wading birds, which leads to increased nesting, but there’s still a lot to do.”

Currently in the planning stage is the Biscayne Bay Southeastern Everglades Ecosystem Restoration Project, which focuses on Broward and Miami Dade counties with the goal of restoring habitats and increasing treatment capacity to help move more water south. “Biscayne Bay, which has been plagued by algae blooms and hypersaline conditions, has a big opportunity to benefit from this project,” says Cox.

For more information on South Florida’s wading birds and Everglades restoration, check out fl.audubon.org/conservation/everglades.

Watercolorist celebrates nature

Growing up in Parkland in the 1990s, watercolor artist Kimberly Heise, 32, was enthralled with the natural beauty around her. She remembers an abundance of pine trees and wooded hammocks, and she gazed onto a forest of trees from her bedroom window. It was an idyllic time that resonates with her to this day.

“My love of nature comes from my childhood home in Parkland,” Heise says. “I spent a lot of time in nature as a kid.”

After graduating from Florida Atlantic University with a BFA in painting in 2016, Heise moved to Boca Raton, Delray Beach, and Miami and felt disconnected from nature. She discovered watercolors and decided to focus on scenes from nature as a way to reconnect to the natural world.

“Art became a way for me to feel connected with the natural world when access to habitats became sparse,” Heise says. Specializing in Florida native plants and animals, her style is a combination of hyper-realism with the accuracy of scientific illustration.

Now back in Parkland, Heise rides her bicycle through Covered Bridge Park, 6 Acre Wood Park, and other trails where she shoots photographs of flowers, plants, or wildlife that she later paints.

Collaborating with nonprofits, Heise creates original artwork for websites, trail signs, videos, guides, magazines, products, logos, and research presentations. “I’m partial to working with organizations that work to preserve our natural habitats and ecosystems,” she says.

Heise painted the Florida bonneted bat, a species of bat only found in South Florida and one of the most endangered mammals in North America, to bring awareness to conservation efforts.

She paints two hours each day in her home studio and devotes time to her newsletter and website, social media, emails, and other nonartistic, but necessary, tasks.

Heise says she is doing exactly what she envisioned. “Being able to sustain myself doing what I love is something I’ve wanted since my 20s,” she says. “Doing this full-time is amazing.

“I enjoy the process of painting,” Heise says “Envisioning beautiful things and bringing them to life is very satisfying.”

She became involved with the Florida Native Plant Society (FNPS), and its educational programs helped shape her work.

“Kim’s a wonderful woman, generous, friendly, and easy to work with,” says Mark Kateli, FNPS statewide president. “She’s a budding naturalist who showcases native plants and animals to raise awareness for our environment and has a bona fide talent and an astute hand in drawing animals and plants.”

For their conference, Heise donates a digital art piece and this year was featured on the front cover of The Palmetto, the group’s magazine.

Heise admires artists John James Audubon, Teagan White, and wildlife artist and illustrator Zoe Keller. “The more you learn about native species, the more exciting it becomes,” she says.

“Lawn weeds,” a native plant and host for butterflies, excite her. “Learning about these species helps me connect to Florida,” Heise says. “Florida is not just palm trees—there is so much joy and beauty here.

“It’s hard to see a native plant such as Chapman’s Cassia (a woody shrub) or Coreopsis (tickseed) and not get excited,” says Heise.

“Learning about these native habitats has made me a happier person,” she says.

Most recently, Heise completed a coloring book for the Everglades Foundation and has collaborated with the Miami nonprofit Bound by Beauty and created a field guide with 17 illustrations of native plants that host butterflies.

“This was one of my most enjoyable and meaningful projects,” the artist says.

“We have been fortunate to collaborate with Kim on our wildlife sanctuary, our field guide to wild plants that host butterflies, and others,” says Mary Benton, founding director of Bound by Beauty. “She has an affinity for the native flora and fauna and an extraordinary ability to bring them to life with watercolor.”

Benton notes, “Everybody who sees her posters is drawn to them more closely, which is our intent in educating people about the beauty and importance of nature—in this case, ‘lawn weeds.’”

Heise is also one of nine artists commissioned by West Palm Beach’s ArtLife Public Art program—”9 Artists 9 Spaces”—to create a temporary public work with the theme of play.

Titled “Birds at Play,” the mural features images of herons and egrets, whistling ducks, gallinule, kites and butterflies, painted buntings, and laughing and herring gulls. The artwork will be installed at the Mandel Library later this summer.

“I’m excited to be part of this project,” says Heise, who is creating the imagery in watercolor in separate panels, then Photoshopping them together. The finished image will be printed on vinyl and installed in the entranceway to the library by forklift.

Additionally, her exhibit “Florida Naturally Wild: Watercolor Painting by Kim Heise” runs through Aug. 26 at Kampong National Tropical Botanical Garden in Miami.

Going forward, Heise would love to have her work at Art Basel or a gallery and to have the ability to “cross-pollinate” (to use a nature term) between the fine art and conservation worlds. She says her best work is created with the intention of it being fine art.

“I’m thrilled when I set an intention for the work and the work rises to that intention,” she says.  “I’m most proud of having my art appreciated for the beauty of the art itself.”

To follow Heise’s latest works, sign up for her email newsletter at KimHeise.com/newsletter or follow her on Instagram and Facebook at KimHeiseArt. Original paintings and prints are also available for sale on her website.

To learn more about the exhibit at Kampong National Tropical Botanical Garden, visit ntbg.org/events/florida-naturally-wild.

Nevelson’s Shadow Chord given new life at Boca museum

“I fell in love with black; it contained all color. It wasn’t a negation of color. It was an acceptance. Because black encompasses all colors. Black is the most aristocratic color of all. … You can be quiet, and it contains the whole thing.”
—Louise Nevelson

American sculptor Louise Nevelson (1899–1988), known for her large, three-dimensional, wooden structures, worked primarily in monochromatic black or white.

Born Leah Berliawsky to Jewish parents in the Soviet Empire in 1899, she emigrated to the U.S. with her family when she was a child.

Growing up in Rockland, Maine, Nevelson moved to New York City to attend high school, where, after graduation, she got a job as a stenographer in a law office and met her future husband, Charles Nevelson, owner of a shipping company.

Calling herself “the original recycler,” Nevelson combed the streets of New York salvaging found objects, wood pieces, and other discarded items to use in her sculptures.

During the mid-1950s, she produced her first series of all-black wood landscape structures, describing herself as the “Architect of Shadow.”

“Shadow and everything else on Earth actually is moving,” she said at the time. “Movement—that’s in color, that’s in form, that’s in almost everything. Shadow is fleeting. … I arrest it and I give it a solid substance.”

Her sculpture titled “Shadow Chord,” created in 1969 and now at the Boca Raton Museum of Art, where it was just restored, was created at the height of her artistic career and embodies the visual language of her work with complex wood assemblages and monochromatic color.

Consisting of stacked boxes completely covered by her signature flat black paint, the sculpture gives this installation the imposing presence of a cityscape that alters the viewer’s perception of light and space.

At the museum since 2001, the work was in need of repair. The restoration was funded by a grant from Bank of America’s Art Conservation Project, a global program providing grants to nonprofit cultural institutions to conserve historically or culturally significant works of art.

Since it began in 2010, the Art Conservation Project has funded the conservation of individual pieces of art through more than 237 projects in 40 countries across six continents.

Among the 13 museums in the U.S. that were awarded the grant this year, the Boca Raton museum is the only one in South Florida to be chosen.

“The Boca Raton Museum of Art is honored to receive this prestigious grant from the Bank of America Conservation Project,” says Irvin Lippman, the museum’s executive director. “Nevelson’s sculpture commands a singular position in our galleries, and we are grateful for this support for its restoration.

“With its engulfing, sensuous environment full of shadows and mystery, this artwork continues to be a favorite for our visitors,” Lippman says.

Nevelson studied painting, voice, and dance at the Art Students League in New York City and held her first solo exhibition in New York in 1941. Over the next several decades, she became a pioneer in large-scale installations, an uncommon achievement for women of her generation.

Nevelson, whose marriage to her husband ended when she was 42, struggled financially much of her life. It wasn’t until her early 70s that Nevelson focused on monumental outdoor sculptures, after being commissioned by Princeton University in 1969 to create a large-scale sculpture for them.

To this day, she is most known for her wooden, wall-like, collage-driven reliefs consisting of multiple boxes and compartments that hold abstract shapes and found objects from chair legs to balusters that she collected from items discarded on the streets.

Nevelson is also the first woman to gain fame in the U.S. for her public art. In 1978, New York City created a sculpture garden, titled Louise Nevelson Plaza and located in Lower Manhattan, to showcase her sculptures. It became the first public space in New York City to be named after an artist.

Her works are in the collections of major art institutions around the world, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Hirschhorn Museum in Washington, D.C., the Tate in London, and the Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris.

The newly refurbished sculpture is currently on view on the second floor at the Boca Raton Museum of Art, 501 Plaza Real. Visit BocaMuseum.org.

Moving beyond autism awareness to autism acceptance

By Jennifer Villalobos

April 2 is World Autism Day. This internationally recognized day was designated by the United Nations in 2007 in an attempt to “raise awareness about autistic individuals throughout the world.” During the month of April, many organizations and governmental agencies organize autism events in their community, including our very own city of Parkland, which is the first city in Broward County and the second city in the state of Florida to be designated autism-friendly.

In 2021, the CDC reported that an estimated 1 in 44 children in the U.S. are on the autism spectrum. Given that prevalence, it would be unlikely for any of us to be totally unaware of autism. Awareness is not enough, though. What is also needed is a deeper understanding of autism and more acceptance. More acceptance includes autistic individuals accepting themselves, caregivers accepting their children for who they are and not who they imagined them to be, and society at large accepting that autistic people deserve the same respect, understanding, and access as anyone else.

Although most people have a general understanding of autism, there are still a lot of misconceptions out there. Here are five of the most common ones:

Misconception 1: Autistic people are all one certain way.

Truth: Although autistic individuals share some common traits such as difficulty with communication and social interaction, as well as the presence of restricted and repetitive behaviors and interests, every autistic person is different. Some people with autism will be highly verbal and others will be nonspeaking. Some may require little support while others may require significant assistance with daily activities. This is why it is called a spectrum.

Misconception 2: Autism is an intellectual disability.

Truth: According to the CDC’s data, only 31% of autistic children have an intellectual disability (IQ < 70), 25% are in the borderline range (IQ = 71–85), and 44% exhibit average to above-average intelligence (IQ > 85). The media have a history of portraying autistic people as either significantly cognitively impaired or as a savant who is highly gifted. The truth is that most autistic people fall somewhere in between those two extremes.

Misconception 3: Autistic children have a lot of tantrums.

Truth: People often mistake meltdowns for tantrums, but in actuality they are two very different things. Tantrums are very common in young children. They call it the “terrible twos” for a reason. This is a typical part of development that decreases as the child gets older. Children have some control over their tantrums, they usually don’t last for very long, and the child can be distracted or redirected.

Meltdowns are caused by feeling extremely overwhelmed and can happen in children and adults alike. They may be triggered by a variety of things, such as sensory sensitivities, pain, fear, changes to routines, or feeling out of control, among others. When your brain senses danger, the amygdala jumps in and activates the fight-or-flight response. This can result in the person lashing out, shutting down, or running away. Meltdowns can last a very long time and will only subside by a change in environment, a reduction of sensory input, or the person eventually wearing out.

Misconception 4: Autistic people aren’t empathetic.

Truth: Although autistic people can have trouble reading facial expressions or predicting and interpreting the behavior of others, there is no research to support that they lack empathy. In other words, it is not that they don’t care what others are thinking or feeling, it is that they may not be able to identify and understand it. In fact, many adults with autism report having an overabundance of empathy, to the point that it is paralyzing and affects their ability to function in daily life.

Misconception 5: Most autistic people are nonspeaking.

Truth: Studies have shown that 25% to 40% of autistic individuals are nonspeaking or minimal speakers (having fewer than 30 words). It is important to note that even highly verbal people with autism can have difficulty speaking when stressed or overwhelmed and may require accommodations for these situations. It was once thought that if a child did not speak by age 4, then he or she probably never would, but that has since been disproven.

The call for autism acceptance is a shift away from the traditional medical model of disability, where the goal is for autistic people to be taught how to behave or act more “neurotypical.” This model views autism (and other disabilities) as problems to be solved via medical interventions. It results in disabled individuals being passive recipients of treatment rather than active participants in their care. And it perpetuates the belief that there is something wrong with these individuals that needs to be “fixed.” Many adults with autism have spoken out against the use of this medical model for autism, reporting that it led them to lack acceptance of their own autism, as well as experience a lack of acceptance from their peers and even their own caregivers at times.

Others have reported that this approach caused them to engage in masking. Masking is when autistic individuals hide or suppress their traits to appear “less autistic” and “more neurotypical.” Some examples of masking include forcing eye contact, hiding or minimizing their special interests, pushing through sensory sensitivities, such as loud noises, and preventing themselves from stimming (repetitive movements or vocalizations). Research has shown that people who engage in masking have higher rates of anxiety, depression, and autistic burnout, and one study even showed a correlation between prolonged masking and suicidal ideation.

In recent years, the social model of disability has become more accepted as an alternative approach to the medical model. The focus is on providing the individual support and accommodations as well as removing social barriers by changing non-autistic people’s attitudes toward autism. This involves accepting autism as a different neurotype rather than a disorder that needs to be “cured.” The benefit of this model is that it can help reduce the stigma and discrimination that many autistic people face, and it can help create a more inclusive society for all neurodivergent individuals. However, although it is growing, it is not yet fully accepted by all healthcare systems or governmental agencies that are still tied to the traditional medical model.

As autistic adults share their experiences, we can gain a better understanding of how our actions have affected them. We should be listening to their voices. In 2021, the Autism Society of America did exactly that by formally changing their “Autism Awareness” campaign to “Autism Acceptance.” Many other advocacy groups have since followed suit. This is a big step in the right direction for the neurodiversity movement. The sooner that our society accepts autistic people for the unique and diverse individuals that they are, the sooner they will be able to live more authentic and fulfilling lives.

Jennifer Villalobos, OT, OT/L, is the owner of Just for Kidz Therapy and a doctor of occupational therapy. For more information, go to www.justforkidztherapy.com.

Touchdown An Easter message

The team takes the field fired up and ready to go. Their scouts have developed an innovative strategy that exploits the weaknesses of the opposition. Their coach has mapped it out carefully and in full detail. The team has practiced the plays over and over again. Everyone is on the same page, and there is a sense of quiet confidence.

But as the game progresses, nothing seems to be working. Their offense sputters and their defense gives up too many yards. At half-time it looks like they are on their way to a solid defeat. But in the locker room, the coach doesn’t change a thing. He just looks at the players, winded and discouraged, and says, “Trust me.”

In the middle of the fourth quarter, the tide turns and the critics are silenced. And by the end of the game, what seemed impossible is now a victory.

This is Easter. So often we get to that special day and forget how bad everything looked before the resurrection. From Adam and Eve’s transgressions to the idolatry of kings, from the opposition of the religious leaders to the faithlessness of the disciples, nothing about God’s plan through Jesus looked promising. Like a fumble on the one-yard line run back for a touchdown, the cross seemed to be the last ... nail … in the coffin.

But the plan was good. It just needed to be trusted. And that Sunday morning almost 2,000 years ago, the sun came up and the referees’ hands signaled “Touchdown.”

When we celebrate Easter, we are celebrating one incredible truth: In God’s plan, “It’s not over until it’s over.” Go to church. Read the book. Say some prayers. Serve a neighbor. Love your enemies. And when you are winded and discouraged, listen to the words of the coach: “Trust me.”

Andy Hagen is pastor of Advent Life Ministries in Boca Raton.

Be strong and of good courage

Toward the end of the Hebrew Bible, in 1 Chronicles 28:20, we read, “Be strong and of good courage, and do it; do not be afraid or dismayed, for the Lord God my God is with you.” King David spoke these words of advice to his son Solomon. However, the words are equally true for each generation. The Jewish people’s existence is replete with individuals of such courage and faith.

At this time of year, we remember many of our brethren who displayed faith through the generations. We start this month with the celebration of Passover, our annual celebration of our people’s exodus from Egypt and freedom to serve God instead of the pharaoh. We move quickly from Passover to our annual commemoration of those who endured and withstood the horrors of the Shoah, as we mark Yom Ha-Shoah. Finally, we recognize with joy the modern miracle of those who fought for the modern state of Israel’s independence.

Each of these religious and modern observances reminds us to stand firm in the face of danger and remain proud of our heritage. Although antisemitism is on the rise, we still have so much to be grateful for in this country and time. This includes the many opportunities for communal gathering, such as our synagogue seder, Yom Ha-Shoah service, and Israel 75 celebration. Life is uncertain, but as King David said, “Stay strong and be of good courage.” Hope to see you soon.

Celebrate Israel’s 75th anniversary 

Temple Beth Am is throwing a party in honor of Israel’s 75th anniversary and the establishment of the Jewish state in 1948, on Sunday, April 30, at 5:15 p.m. This extravaganza will include a fully catered Glatt kosher Middle Eastern dinner; music by Randy Stevens Entertainment, including Israeli and jazz music, singing, and dancing; and many great raffle prizes and giveaways (see the full-page ad).

If you can only attend one party this year, this is the one you do not want to miss.

For more information, visit www.beth-am.org or call the office at (954) 968-4545, which is open Monday–Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to noon.

Delicious Dining: Get your craft beers here!

Our local guide to some of the best specialty foods in our area

The South Florida brewery scene has been growing. With dozens of breweries throughout the area, the craft beer scene has never been better. “Hop” on over to one of these local breweries for a fresh and flavorful glass of beer and delicious food.

World of Beer
4437 Lyons Road, Suite 101, Coconut Creek

World of Beer is the premier spot for beer enthusiasts and novices alike. Whether you have a beer cellar at home or hate how beer tastes, their staff will walk you through what’s available and allow you to try them before buying. With 40 craft beers on tap, 250 in the cooler, and a menu of mouthwatering tavern fare crafted to go perfectly with beer, you won’t be disappointed at World of Beer.

Big Bear Brewing Company
1800 N. University Drive, Coral Springs

Beer tastes best when it’s made fresh. Big Bear Brewing Co. beer is made fresh and in-house on a daily basis. They use only the finest ingredients, guaranteeing a fresh and natural glass of beer every time. Paired with their high-quality and creative food menu, you’ll enjoy every bite (and sip) in the warm and friendly atmosphere.

BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse
1580 N. University Drive, Coral Springs

Celebrate the joy of craft beer and good food at BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse, where they pride themselves in their craft and attention to detail. The innovative and broad menu features delicious entrees and, of course, their very own award-winning handcrafted beers on tap every day. In addition to their 11 signature beers and cider, they offer seasonal and local brews as well.

26º Brewing Co.
2600 E. Atlantic Blvd., Pompano Beach

26º Brewing Co. is a local craft beer brewer and tap room with friendly, helpful staff and fantastic beers. Within the over 21,000-square-foot facility, you’ll find their 4,600-square-foot taproom, which brews some of the best craft beers around. Check out their website and social media to learn about their upcoming events and fun themed nights.

Black Flamingo Brewery
3260 NW 23rd Ave., #400 E, Pompano Beach

Brewing up a wide variety of constantly rotating experimental ales, Black Flamingo Brewery crafts unique and delicious artisan beers that showcase the vibrant and diverse culture of South Florida. The brewery promotes local talent and offers entertaining theme nights and various entertainment throughout the week. Check out their website and social media to learn more.

Fun Facts

• You can chill a beer in two minutes; just put ice and salt in a bowl and stir.
  • Frosty glasses will cause your beer to foam.
  • The sugar in beer is said to supercharge your plants.
  • You can use beer as a conditioner. Apparently, good-quality brews will leave your locks silky and soft.

If you would like your eatery to be featured in Delicious Dining, please email Local.Features@theparklander.com.