Tik-Tok vs. YouTube: Social media influencer behemoths duke it out in the ring

There are two facts of life that remain constant: Technology continues to evolve, and people love to fight. That is why, during the “Battle of the Platforms,” a myriad of big-name social media influencers, representing their respective social media platforms of YouTube and Tik-Tok, duked it out in the ring to both settle their beefs and decide which platform’s creators reign supreme.

Headlining the ticket was the fight between two social media icons — Tik-Tok superstar and self-proclaimed “bad boy,” Bryce Hall, and YouTube vlog powerhouse and family man, Austin McBroom. The two, having possessed a public quarrel for a good amount of time, decided things should be quelled in the most exciting and entertaining method, a good ole’ amateur boxing match. Add even more social media stars and rivalries to the mix, and you have a great night of in-person social media entertainment.

The social media star-studded series of boxing bouts took place at the distinguished Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens. Adding to the spectacle were condensed performances by A-list hip-hop artists such as Trippie Redd, Lil’ Baby, and DJ Khaled interspersed between each heated brawl. Also present was prolific commentary by social media creators and provocateurs FouseyTUBE and Keemstar. 

Whether you use it or not, there is no denying that the Tik-Tok platform has made serious waves in the space of entertainment. Its trend-based and short-form content, which adapts to each user’s specific interests and preferences, creates an addicting and mindlessly entertaining app that can keep anyone, especially teens, scrolling for hours at a time. 

YouTube’s impact on the entertainment industry needs no introduction. The internet video service, along with Netflix, put basically all of cable TV on its knees, persuading and swiping its audience with more personable content that viewers could consume without having to purchase a bothersome cable package.

At the cornerstone of both YouTube and Tik-Tok are the creators. Not only do they produce the content for the platforms, but they also give them a face and a soul. The most notable creators possess a combination of talent, charm, and glamour, which turns them into luminary icons who abide in the hearts and minds of their devoted fans. Just like teen pop idols of the past, such as Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, and Justin Bieber, their fans will fight their battles, defend them to the end, and follow each venture they partake in.

Aware of the extraordinary gravity that these social media stars possess, event organizers see social media influencer-based events as a lucrative avenue to pursue. Based on the impressive spectacle and success of this recent event, whether it be boxing or other sensational exhibitions, I predict the public will definitely be seeing more influencer-studded events in the future.

Miami could possibly serve as the new hot spot for these influencer events. In addition to the work put in by LiveXLive, Battle of the Platforms’ central organizer, Hard Rock itself was a key force in producing and carrying out the event. With Miami’s known and ever-evolving image as a neon-lit destination for glitz, glamour, action, and fame, perhaps the Battle of the Platforms is the catalyst for South Florida’s path to emerging as the new Las Vegas.

‘Witness the magic’ – empowering people through equine connection

Tucked away on the north side of Tradewinds Park in Coconut Creek is a place that has been empowering all who pass through its gates — both two-legged and four-legged — for almost 40 years. That place is Equine-Assisted Therapies of South Florida (EATSF), a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing therapeutic riding and equine activities to children and adults with special needs. 

“We’re here to build people up, no matter what their ability is,” emphasizes Molly Murphy, executive director of EATSF.

And that’s exactly what the organization does through its hippotherapy, therapeutic riding, equine-facilitated psychotherapy, and equine-facilitated learning programs.

“None of my peers rode horses,” recalls Murphy, who participated in both EATSF’s therapeutic riding and hippotherapy programs as a child. “This was something I did and was really good at, and I felt really powerful. For kids with disabilities, that is not the case a lot of the time. You don’t feel powerful in a lot of ways because you don’t have power over the way your body moves or your mind works.” 

Throughout the years, EATSF’s program has demonstrated that fostering a connection between horse and human consistently produces inspiring results for participants on both a physical and an emotional level. 

A 4-year-old, nonverbal participant rode with the program for a full year and out of nowhere in January exclaimed to everyone, “Happy new year!”

Another participant qualified for nationals for the Special Olympics. Others have started out only able to lie across the back of the horse and, over time, developed the muscle strength to sit up with support. 

“It’s moments like that that have shaped and defined me,” says Missy Tussing, certified therapeutic riding instructor and barn manager, who has been involved with EATSF for 25 years. “One of the most important things I’ve seen is the growth of the participants.” 

The sense of empowerment derived from working with horses is not limited to the riders. 

“I’ve seen volunteers come across our threshold with no horse experience develop confidence and leadership skills that have transcended other areas of their lives,” says Murphy.

What is it about horses that makes them such effective therapy animals? 

“They understand emotions. They’re a lot more knowledgeable than we give them credit for,” explains Tussing. “I’ve seen a horse you wouldn’t expect to reach out and catch his rider reach out and catch his rider.” That horse is Goose, an off-the-track thoroughbred that EATSF acquired through its partnership with Florida Thoroughbred Rescue and Adoptive Care.

Goose serves as an example of the positive impact that therapeutic riding can have on the horse as well. “For him, that was the day everything clicked,” says Tussing. “Off-the-track thoroughbreds come with their own set of challenges, and for him as a horse to overcome that and become such a wonderful horse for the program is a testament to him as well.” 

EATSF is open to new participants, volunteers, and horses. To get involved, visit its website at http://equineatsf.org or call the office at (954) 974-2007. 

Coming back home for the summer: Parkland cuisine

It is no secret that college life is hard and stressful. From procrastinating in writing lengthy papers, to stingy professors who will simply not round up a grade, and maintaining a social life on top of it all, things can be quite a headache.

However, like a cool, refreshing shower after a long, sweaty run, a hearty and delicious meal serves as a joyful respite to a difficult day. Unfortunately, at most universities, this simple pleasure is unattainable due to one certain fact: College food flat-out sucks.

In contrast, the food in the Parkland and Coral Springs area is quite the opposite. Offering a diverse array of delectable cuisine from a broad variety of cultures and influences, there are many fantastic choices. As a student myself, here is a list of some of my favorite restaurants in the area I was fortunate enough to eat at when I returned home from college.

BRGR Stop

BRGR Stop is the number 1 spot for extravagant gourmet burgers and luscious craft milkshakes that would even impress Vincent Vega of “Pulp Fiction.” Their high-end burgers are creative and masterfully crafted, bestowing a balanced cacophony of rich, sweet, and savory flavors with every bite. Each milkshake is inventive and prolific, offering its own unique flavor profile based on sweet snacks and desserts, such as red velvet cake, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Oreos, and many more. You also have the choice of the milkshake of the month. In addition, BRGR Stop offers a wide array of delightful comfort-food appetizers to start off your extraordinary meal.

J-Petal Ramen, Crepes & Bubble Tea 

If you enjoy ramen noodles in any facet, then J-Petal is for you. In addition to having one of the best, most authentic bowls of ramen in all of South Florida, J-Petal also lends itself to a social and welcoming atmosphere. Because the bowls of ramen are packed with so many tasty ingredients (soft noodles, savory pork belly, chewy bamboo shoots, etc.), they take ample time to dissect and eat, allowing for plentiful conversation with anyone dining there with you. In addition to the bowls of ramen, there are also options for bubble tea, crepes, and ice cream.

Big Bear Brewing Company

Big Bear is the go-to spot in Coral Springs for classic American cuisine. On its massive menu, there is everything one could ask for: juicy steaks and burgers, fresh salads, daily soups, sweet desserts, and much more. The restaurant, located on University Drive, also has a classy rustic atmosphere that, although impressive, still feels local and inviting. Big Bear is a great place for a Sunday family dinner, fancy date, or even casual dining experience. Speaking to its brewing prowess, the brewery has won dozens of local accolades and even national titles for its beloved beers.

Los Bocados

Stating that (the one and only) Guy Fieri has been to Los Bocados would probably be enough to convince you to visit. However, the menu itself, an incredible selection of Mexican street food, is more attestable than even the praise of a big-name celebrity chef. Although the restaurant is sensational every day, you should definitely visit Los Bocados’ brand-new brick-and-mortar location (7031 North State Road 7) on a Tuesday. This is for its signature “Tostada Tuesdays,” at which the award-winning barbecue brisket tostadas are only $3 each. Whether you choose the tostadas, the mahi-mahi tacos, or a toasted burrito, they are all excellently paired with an imported Mexican coke for maximum satisfaction.

Cherry Smash

Cherry Smash is the sweet cherry on top of any occasion. The ice cream parlor not only has some of the richest, creamy, and decadent homemade ice cream I have ever had, but also boasts one of the most awe-inspiring interiors I have ever seen. Designed like an ice cream parlor from the 1920s, the place is packed with all kinds of antiques, memorabilia, and sculptures from every decade of American pop culture. Ranging from a life-sized statue of Spiderman to a miniature choo-choo train, the interior is a spectacle to admire while enjoying a homemade hot fudge sundae.

Rabbi Rappaport installed at Temple Beth Orr

Rabbi Laura M. Rappaport, rabbi of Temple Beth Orr in Coral Springs since July 1, 2020, was officially installed at Shabbat services on Friday, June 25.

Rabbi Rappaport received her B.A. in psychology from the University of Pennsylvania. She received her M.A.H.L. and rabbinic ordination from the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion (Jerusalem and Cincinnati campuses).

Rappaport most recently served as associate rabbi and educator at Temple B’nai Shalom in Fairfax Station, Virginia. Originally from northwest New Jersey, Rappaport spent most of her adult life in Boise, Idaho, where she focused on serving small congregations around the Pacific Northwest, including Sun Valley, Idaho; Great Falls, Montana; Bainbridge Island, Washington; and Bend, Oregon, in addition to working as an adjunct rabbi at her home congregation in Boise. While in Idaho, she was founding director of the Idaho Children’s Trust Fund, a statewide child abuse prevention foundation. She taught Introduction to Judaism classes at the College of Idaho. For 10 years she worked as a board-certified chaplain at both of Boise’s acute care hospitals and the physical rehabilitation facility. She loves working with children and youth and has spent many years teaching and leading programs and special Shabbat and holiday services for children of all ages.

Rabbi Rappaport believes in a values-based approach to Judaism and Jewish life. In her words, “The major lesson we draw from the Torah, our people’s earliest book, is that each of us is responsible for more than just ourselves. Each of us has a holy responsibility to go out of our way to help create an environment for all that is just and compassionate, one that is safe for and respectful of every member of society.”

Rappaport’s approach to Jewish life is one of both joy and meaning. “My ideal Jewish program, service, or event is one that is fun and creative and leaves you with a slightly different perspective. You should leave with excellent questions to mull over: questions that you didn’t have when you arrived. Judaism encourages us to wonder about and question everything. This is how we move forward individually and as a society.”

Rabbi Rappaport has loved getting to know the very special Temple Beth Orr community over these past months and looks forward to continuing to build on the decades of warmth, inclusiveness, and caring that have marked Temple Beth Orr as a Coral Springs Jewish institution since 1972. You may find out more about TBO at templebethorr.org or on the Temple Beth Orr Facebook page.

Florida becoming ‘hotbed’ for lacrosse

Parkland’s Casey Roberts and Ava Yovino have seen firsthand what lacrosse has become in Florida.

Both high school juniors helped their teams win state championships in the spring and both are members of the highly successful Florida Select travel program. Gone are the days where college coaches would scour the Northeast for players. Florida is becoming a hotbed as well.

Casey, 16, a junior at American Heritage-Delray, helped the Stallions win their second state title with an 11-9 win against Lake Highland Prep.

“Lacrosse is one of the fastest-growing sports,” said Casey, an Ohio State University commit. “It wasn’t very big in Florida, and I think our travel team for one is helping grow the sport. Our 2022 team, which me and Ava are on, is ranked No. 1 in the country last year.

“I think more kids are starting to play rec ball at a young age with the RedHawks, the Boca Jets, and the local leagues,” she said. “Our travel team goes to the Northeast to play in tournaments because that is where some of the top teams play. We normally go to Maryland and New Jersey and play the top teams in the country.”

Ava, 16, a two-time high school All-American and Academic All-American, recently helped St. Thomas Aquinas win their first girls FHSAA Class 2A state title with a 17-9 win over Vero Beach.

The high school junior comes from a lacrosse family as her father, Lou, plays lacrosse on a men’s league team (Buzzards) from Parkland. He coached with the RedHawks and travel teams.

Her brother Louis, a three-time U.S. Lacrosse All-American and state champion with the Raiders, played lacrosse at Furman, and Nick was a two-time US Lacrosse All-American and two-time state champion. Both brothers are at UCF.

“Having a family that plays has probably made the biggest impact in my life,” said Ava, who is committed to playing D1 at the U.S. Naval Academy. “They have been the best role models, and to have people like that to mimic has been a really great gift for me.

“We live in Maryland and New Jersey for like half the year,” Ava said. “We like to show the girls from up north who’s boss. To be a part of Florida becoming a hotbed is pretty cool, especially starting off with the RedHawks and trying different travel programs, and eventually Florida Select.”

Lacrosse was a club sport back in the early 1990s where it was not sanctioned by the Florida High School Athletic Association, so high schools combined and played as club teams. The sport was sanctioned in 2008.

Terry Crowley, who was a representative for U.S. Lacrosse at the time, got together with Jerry Kraus, who put together a team from area high schools, and they played in a tri-county club league. That morphed into the South Florida Youth Lacrosse League. Crowley, his wife Barbara, and Mike Shutowick then started the RedHawks with 300 players in 2000. They also drew from the Coral Springs Chiefs; then-Parkland Mayor Michael Udine arranged for field space.

“I think the growth of the youth really forced high schools to take a look at it because as the kids got older, they wanted to play for their school,” said Crowley, who won state championships in 2016 and 2017 with St. Thomas Aquinas’ boys’ team. “I think the push from the parents really did it. A lot of parents were transplants and played up north. The growth hasn’t really surprised me because people look for an alternative for football or something to compliment football and this is a perfect sport, and hockey players don’t have to pay for ice time because the sunshine is free.”

Andrew Edenbaum said both of his sons played when they were younger. Gabriel, 18, who recently graduated from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School (MSD), played until eighth grade. Edenbaum said he told Gabriel in second grade that he had to make a choice, continue to play baseball or try lacrosse, and Darren, who was in preschool at the time, followed suit.

Darren just finished his freshman lacrosse season at MSD, where he scored a team-leading 39 goals and 15 assists to lead them to a district championship. He started with the RedHawks in Parkland at age 5 and now plays for the Stealth travel program.

“It was a new experience for me because I was a freshman and didn’t know what to expect,” said Darren, who will play on a summer travel team in the Northeast. “I really like high school lacrosse better because it was more competition. I always wanted to be a starter in my first year. In my first game, I scored seven goals, so I proved myself. My goal is to play Division 1 lacrosse.”

Two freshman brothers, who relocated from Long Island to Parkland, helped the Saint John Paul II Academy boys lacrosse team to a 9-5 record this year. Matt Evans made his mark with 17 goals, 7 assists, while Michael scored 16 goals and 6 assists for 22 points this season.

Michael Evans Sr. said the family moved here 5 years ago and got involved in the RedHawks initially. Now they play for Lax Mafia, where Evans is one of the coaches of the 2024s. He played at Long Island University and brought Team 91 to Florida.

Currently, the NCAA has 75 schools playing Division 1 men’s lacrosse and 75 teams playing Division 2. There are 238 schools playing Division 3. On the women’s side, there are even more schools offering scholarships with 550 schools playing lacrosse across all three divisions.

“The growth down here has been so fast,” Evans said. “[It] starts with the rec programs and Parkland has a very good rec program. The RedHawks are super strong.”

Michael, 16, gives the sport a “10.” He and 15-year-old brother Matt will represent Ireland internationally for the 19-Under Team Éire in the World Games in 2022.

“It is my favorite sport in the world,” Michael said. “My dad played in college and when I was in the first grade, I tried it and fell in love with the sport. I am set on playing in college and Division 1 is the goal.”

Matt is looking forward to representing Ireland next year. He has played for the past 3 years with Ireland Youth.

“I really like the sport because it is like a family. I also like scoring a lot of goals, playing with my friends, and making memories. I would like to play through college.”

Primal Forces Debuts as Boca Stage

Boca Raton’s Primal Forces theater company, founded in 2014 by artistic director Keith Garsson, emerges from the pandemic with new productions, a new attitude, and a new name – Boca Stage.

The company, located in The Sol Theater, at 3333 North Federal Highway is a professional theater company that produces new and topical works geared to a sophisticated theatergoer looking for alternatives to revivals and musicals.

Past productions have included the 2019 production of Emily Mann’s “Having Our Say” with Karen Stephens and Avery Somers, “Breadcrumbs” by Jennifer Haley, and  Laura Eason’s “Sex with Strangers,” which won the New Times Best Play of 2016.

“We want to be more aligned with our home and the City of Boca Raton,” says Garsson, about the name change, and says he is “excited to be coming back.”

He works in tandem with Genie Croft, artistic director and founding member of the multi-Carbonnell nominated Women’s Theater Project.

“All the world’s a stage,” says Croft, “and I can’t wait to be live in this world again.”

“The energy and dynamics of live theater are beyond description,” she says. “They are the essence of living, of being in the moment and transcribing those feelings to an audience.  That’s the creative process.”

Last March 13, the company shut down on what was to be Opening Night of their production of award-winning playwright Kenneth Lin’s “Warrior Class,” a modern-day variation on the Faust legend which explores the underbelly of a political campaign.  Lin has also written for the Netflix series, “House of Cards.”

The play is currently rescheduled for November 2021.

Garsson credits his landlords, Keith and Sara Grant, for their flexibility and financial help during the pandemic and says, “Without them, it could have been the end of the game.”

He also appreciates his loyal subscriber base which he says, “has been great.”  Boca Stage will honor all tickets purchased for the canceled season for a future date.  Garsson says he will personally call each and every subscriber to assure them the theater is returning in November and their tickets are good for a future performance.

“My heart goes out to our actors and designers who bore the brunt of losing their livelihoods during this past year of the pandemic,” says Garsson, who also runs a full-time software business.

“Of all the people who are allowed to complain, I’m not one of them,” he jokes.

While some theater companies found ways to produce virtual productions or other streaming shows Garsson says, “We are purists.  We believe live theater and all its drama is best seen live.”

“It’s hard to compete with Netflix or Amazon,” he says.  “Why would people stream my production when they can watch “Bridgerton” or “The Crown” or “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel?”

“The way I see it is I’d rather have nothing, than settle for less,” says Garsson, referring to what he says is a phrase “loosely translated from the Yiddish.”

Luckily, this fall people will have the choice to see live theater at Boca Stage, with one caveat – everybody must be vaccinated.

Garsson plans to ensure both patrons and employees are vaccinated by Oct. 1.  “Safety is our priority; we can’t risk anyone’s safety,” he says.

Croft concurs, “We cannot wait to bring our creative vision once again to an audience sharing in the evolving moments of a story coming to life,” she says.  “I look forward to sharing this experience with our audience.”

Besides “Warrior Class,” on deck for the 2021-22 season (the company’s 7th season) are four South Florida premieres featuring characters struggling against the system and tackling topics such as Hollywood legends and myths, (Elton Townend Jones’s “The Unremarkable Death of Marilyn Monroe”), big pharma (Kate Fodor’s “Rx”), children’s rights (“Luna Gale,” a new play by Pulitzer Prize-finalist Rebecca Gilman), and the lunacy of the military bureaucracy in playwright Richard Strand’s “Ben Butler,” a Civil War comedy about real-life army general.

“Our audiences have made it quite clear that they enjoy the little-known plays with interesting topics,” says Garsson, who reads approximately 50-60 plays each month while exercising on the treadmill.

“We’re very lucky that today’s playwrights are providing works that are both relevant and different from the standard fare,” he says.  “Barring unforeseen events, this will be a good season.”

Tickets are on sale now for $45 ($50 Sunday matinees.)  Subscriptions may be purchased at www.bocastage.org or by calling 1-866-811-4111. Individual ticket sales will be available in mid-September. Thursday previews, Friday, and Saturday nights 8 p.m. curtain, and Saturday and Sunday 2 p.m. curtain.

Carbon: A new cash crop for farmers

What if farmers could make their practices more environmentally friendly, improve their plants, and continue to generate income at the same time? Such an idea has grown into more than just a thought in the U.S. The concept is called carbon sequestration, or “carbon farming.”

In simple terms, farmers capture and store atmospheric carbon dioxide in their plants. The concept could prove important in the fight against global warming. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates that the agriculture sector accounts for 10 percent of greenhouse gas emissions across the U.S.

Such gases trap heat, resulting in higher temperatures in the atmosphere, and contribute to global warming. President Joe Biden hopes to reward farmers monetarily for using climate-friendly practices on their lands.

John-Walt Boatright, Director of National Affairs for the Florida Farm Bureau, said that he and others in the agriculture field have discussed carbon sequestration for about 20 years. And now, “the stars are aligning” to make such practices widespread, he said.

Specifically, Boatright noted that the Biden administration is determined to develop a climate policy. And those in the agriculture industry are equally determined to make carbon sequestration a widespread practice.

The process of implementing carbon sequestration strategies can prove challenging. It depends on factors such as a farm’s location, equipment, and finances.

For instance, planting cover crops, or those that cover soil is one technique. Among other things, the practice helps fight erosion, builds organic matter, and improves fertility.

Farms in some regions of the U.S. have been planting cover crops for decades. But growing seasons in other regions are too short to consider cover crops.

Some farmers have been using a technique called “no-till” for years with great results. It’s a process of farming without tilling the soil, helping to reduce the amount of soil disruption that would otherwise release carbon dioxide into the air.

But it’s not a technique that works everywhere, and it depends on the soil and other factors.

University of Florida soil scientist Jehangir Bhadha agrees that not all carbon sequestration techniques work equally well.

“We have to be very cautious in making these broad overarching statements because in some cases, certain practices may work, and you may yield profits from it — not just financial but even environmental benefits,” Bhadha told WUSF Public Media.

Boatright said that while conversations about carbon sequestration have been happening for years, “we’re still early in this process.”

Biden wants to use $30 billion in farm aid money from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Commodity Credit Corporation to pay growers for implementing sustainable practices.

And at least one agriculture official supports Biden’s proposal — Florida Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Services Nikki Fried.

“It’s going to be millions upon millions of dollars,” Fried told WJCT Public Media.

Fried told the media outlet that tariffs, adverse weather, and the pandemic have hit Florida farmers hard. She believes that Biden’s incentive can help.

In fact, Fried submitted a proposal to the White House. In it, she told Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris that “with 9.7 million acres of farmland, Florida is an ideal state for potential pilot programs.”

Among other things, Fried’s document suggests a public-private partnership “to identify federal and state-owned lands on which potential properties not actively being managed can implement a tree planting and cover crop program for carbon sequestration.”

“While the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has estimated that the agriculture sector accounts for 10 percent of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, regenerative agriculture can help sequester carbon from the atmosphere at levels that will have a real impact on the climate crisis,” Fried wrote.

Broward County Farm Bureau President Fred Segal said that carbon sequestration “definitely has potential down the road.”

Such practices could not only help environmentally but also assist agriculture in becoming self-sustaining while continuing to provide a safe, economical food supply for the public, Segal said. He added that carbon farming could help small farmers remain in business by providing them with an additional revenue source.

Just outside Tallahassee, David “Kip” Ritchey, 31, and Angelique Taylor, 27, operate a one-acre farm. WJCT Public Media reported that the young couple uses alternatives to tilling. In addition, they plant cover crops off-season to keep nutrients in the ground. They also use hay as a natural water and nutrient reservoir, and they experiment with organic fertilizers to reduce their carbon footprint. The Florida couple isn’t receiving monetary compensation for their efforts.

But in the Midwest, large agricultural companies are paying growers to plant crops that remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and use techniques to keep carbon in the soil.

With Biden’s plan to reward farmers monetarily for using climate-friendly practices on their lands, it could be just a matter of time before Florida growers also receive monetary compensation.

Boatright said that carbon sequestration is a complex topic but “I think will be valuable to the American farmer and also to the American citizen.”

What to do in case of drowning

Drowning is the leading cause of unintentional death for children ages 1-4. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 10 drowning deaths occur per day in the U.S. In addition to fatalities, thousands of children are hospitalized each year, with many suffering brain or lung injuries. Most of those drownings occur in home swimming pools. This local story from Alicia C. is about what you can do to help in a drowning situation.

I was at Dania Beach with my husband, young daughter, and a group of families. One minute I am mingling with my child’s friends and their parents, enjoying an effortless day with my toes in the sand…

The next minute, we witness a father pulling his lifeless child out of the shallow water. The young boy’s face is red and his father is in disbelief, trying to shake the life back into him. The boy is 4, but petite, and is wearing a puddle-jumper swim vest, fully connected. He had been in very shallow water. The inlet is low tide. His father was almost within arm’s reach of him and interacting with him moments before.

Our friends, Kandice and Jen O., are first responders and jump in to give this frantic family assistance. A crowd envelops the boy and the two firefighters, which shields the graphic nature of this situation from our children. The boy is in serious trouble.

The family is agonizing over the reality of what is happening, helpless to do anything but worry and to scream in fear. It is crushing my soul to bear witness to. Their cries of devastation will haunt me. Then an ER nurse, Abigail B. from Massachusetts, jumps off a parked boat to assist.

The boy begins to turn blue, and the three of them start CPR. At this point, we have to redirect our children’s attention. We try for a minute to put on this act for our children, and we downplay what is occurring, but time keeps moving on, and eventually, I feel that we need divine intervention. So, my child, my husband, and I pray on our knees for this little one.

Suddenly, we see our firefighter friends carrying this child and sprinting (barefoot) all the way down the long, long path to the parking lot. They are trying to get this child to the ambulance because the ambulance can’t drive out to where we are.

I have never seen something so heroic in my whole life. This child lived. This child made a full recovery — through the miracle performed by these three strangers (on their day off, with no equipment, no warning, no gear, nothing, just their strength and willingness to do whatever it takes).

We are putting in a swimming pool this month, and I always had a fear of the hazardous risks they pose to children my child’s age. There may not always be a first responder around, so I am committed to getting recertified in CPR, and anyone else who lives in Florida should too

Kandice and Jen recommend the following precautions for everyone, not just parents of children:

• Take swimming lessons (even for adults who may have to save themselves or a child). Flotation devices should never be substitutes for attentive adults.
  • Designating a “water watcher” is a necessity if more than one person is watching kids. Accidents often happen with large gatherings because it’s easy for each adult to assume someone else is watching for danger.
  • Learn CPR/first aid, so that you can save a life if the time comes.

“Anybody who knew CPR could’ve contributed to that happy ending,” says Kandice. “And the fact that the parents weren’t actually very complicit should be a lesson to us all.”

For more information on National Drowning Prevention Awareness Month (which was in May), visit the National Drowning Prevention Alliance at ndpa.org. Also, check out the Parklander’s® May 2021 article on pool safety fences.

Technology’s threat to our security and democracy

Make no mistake about it: Our advanced technology is posing a serious threat to national security as well as to the foundation of our democracy. No one said it more clearly than the brilliant physicist Stephen Hawking: “The creation of artificial intelligence may be the worst event in the history of civilization.” He’s not alone. SpaceX founder Elon Musk, who knows something about technology, says, “Artificial intelligence could start World War III.”

The application of artificial intelligence to military operations is so great that nations have formed units of cyber warriors. In other words, they are skillful hackers. In effect, we are in an arms race of a different kind. Because so much of what we do is computerized now, it’s all vulnerable. A system is secure only until it’s breached. You’ll remember that last year we saw the worst-ever cyber attack on the U.S. when our Department of Energy was hacked. A cyber expert reported that at least 50 organizations were hacked. Microsoft’s president, Brad Smith, said he was impressed by the sophistication and scope of the attack.

In their book “Cyber War,” Richard Clarke, a security expert, and Robert Knake explain what cyber warriors can do. For instance, they hacked into Syria’s defense system to reprogram radar to show empty skies at a certain time
so that Israeli fighter planes could attack a manufacturing plant. Hackers can also cripple a nation in various ways. For example, Russia shut down Ukraine’s banking system for a week. Think of the consequences of that in the U.S. We already know that our electric grid is fragile and vulnerable.

The danger of ‘deepfake video’

Add to these threats the developing technology that allows the creation of video that’s so real and convincing, you cannot tell it is fake. They’re now called “deepfakes.” Before long, with the advancing technology, a kid in his basement could produce one and put it on social media.

Two law professors with expertise in technology are waving red flags of danger. Writing in Foreign Affairs magazine, Robert Chesney of the University of Texas and Danielle Citron of the University of Virginia describe scenarios that could launch a war. Imagine the consequences of a video showing a nation’s leader announcing that missiles have been fired at another country, or of an ISIS leader announcing a chemical attack — videos that could cover the world in minutes and that cannot be determined to be fake.

Clarke and Knake warn about another aspect of this that’s especially frightening. Skillful hackers can sneak into a computer system without being detected. Once they can bypass a system’s security, they can go in at any future time and adjust programs to do great damage. Some systems in the U.S. may already have been breached without us knowing.

The threat to our elections

Besides the aspects of war, the available technology poses a threat to the functioning of democracy in various ways. As you know, U.S. intelligence agencies are sure that Russia interfered in our presidential elections, spreading false information and targeting individuals to receive specific information on social media. The truth may never catch up to the inflammatory falsehoods that spread like wildfire through social media because they’re more interesting and colorful. People are more likely to spread false information if it reflects their bias.

Cyber warriors in a hostile nation can sow confusion about our elections, discontent based on false information, and scurrilous lies about a candidate or officeholder, which can affect the outcome of an election. In their article about deepfake videos, Chesney and Citron say “the prospect is chilling” that the technology can disrupt our democratic elections, which are

the foundation of our democracy. “There is no silver bullet for countering ‘deepfakes,’” they say. Will we have a functioning democracy if we cannot agree on what’s true and lose public faith in the legitimacy of our elections? A believable fake video could destroy the career of a public official.

The world’s leaders are not ignoring these threats, but what can they do? The Transatlantic Commission on Election Integrity is meeting without fanfare to deal with the integrity of elections. The commission is led by Michael Chertoff, who was secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and Anders Fogh Rasmussen, who was NATO secretary- general and a prime minister of Denmark. Deepfake videos are one of their concerns. They’re trying to push nations into a cooperative effort to deal with the threat to elections because no nation can do it alone. As they put it, “The future of democracy is at stake.” Can a warning be stronger than that?

In any event, the technological genie is out of the bottle. Algorithms, artificial intelligence, and the rest cannot be put back in. Those who are now waving the red flags of danger may be the Paul Reveres of our time. Are we listening? What will we do? What can we do?

(Please) Roll out those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer

“It was a quiet morning, the town covered over with darkness and at ease in bed. Summer gathered in the weather, the wind had the proper touch, the breathing of the world was long and warm and slow. You had only to rise, lean from our window, and know that this indeed was the first real time of freedom and living, this was the first morning of summer.”   ⎯Ray Bradbury, “Dandelion Wine”

Many of us have cherished childhood memories of the specialness of summer. We measured it, of course, by the last day of school. My sister and I made paper chains weeks before that last day and excitedly took off one link each night before we went to bed.

But summer, perhaps just another solstice to the science-minded, was magic. It was the best.

“Summer was on the way; Jem and I awaited it with impatience. Summer was our best season: it was sleeping on the back screened porch in cots, or trying to sleep in the treehouse; summer was everything good to eat; it was a thousand colors in a parched landscape.  ⎯Harper Lee, “To Kill a Mockingbird”

Ray Bradbury’s story of 12-year-old Douglas Spaulding’s idyllic summer might not have garnered as much literary attention had it begun with a more technical definition of summer.

“From an astronomical view, the equinoxes and solstices would be the middle of the respective seasons, but sometimes astronomical summer is defined as starting at the solstice . . . often identified with the 21st day of June in the northern hemisphere. . . . The meteorological convention is to define summer as comprising the months of June, July, and August.”  ⎯Sir Robert Ball, “Elements of Astronomy”

Makes you want to rush down to the old swimmin’ hole, doesn’t it? Whichever path you choose, summer 2021 presents a unique, pandemic-coated pastiche of optimism and trepidation.

Way back in February, James Hamblin of The Atlantic magazine waxed hopeful under the headline “A Quite Possibly Wonderful Summer”:

“Families will gather. Restaurants will reopen. People will travel. The pandemic may feel like it’s behind us — even if it’s not.”

That’s the clincher, isn’t it? “Even if it’s not.” The CDC advised against travel in late March but by April said it was fine. Meanwhile, Disney Cruise Line canceled more of its Florida-based sailings as well as its normal plans for European sailings this summer.

MSNBC reported in mid-April that more than a quarter of those eligible for vaccination in the United States had received both injections.

They’re safe, right? Right? We’re safe? Everybody’s safe. Or is it like Nazi dentist Laurence Olivier looming over Dustin Hoffman in “Marathon Man”? Is it safe?

My iPhone sounds its Sherwood Forest horn alert with the “Sun-Sentinel” headline “COVID-19 in Florida: 5,520 new cases and 7 more dead.” An “Orlando Sentinel” alert immediately answers back: “Weekly infections up, but residents’ deaths down.”

My wife and I have been following all the rules to avoid the virus. We’ve been very careful. We’re in our 70s and I have a respiratory condition that goes back to having pneumonia in the sixth grade.

By the end of March, we had received both vaccinations. We had to drive from Boynton Beach to Pembroke Pines to receive them, but it was worth it. We feel safer somehow. It was like a cleansing.

My publisher was quick to point out, aptly I reluctantly admit, the biblical connection here, both to the cleansing and to the season.

The Feast of Saint John closely coincides with the summer solstice. That’s John the Baptist, mind you, the guy who specialized in cleansing people of their sins in the Jordan River. He dunked Jews and gentiles alike, which would have been perfect for my wife and me because we have one of each.

We’re as excited about flying to Seattle in May to see our grandsons, daughter, and son-in-law as my sister and I were taking paper links off our “countdown-to-summer” chain more than a half-century ago.

There always seems to be a “but” in every new positive report that’s issued. We still have concerns. We remain on guard. But, yes, I said it ⎯ things are looking up.

I upgraded our tickets to guarantee an open seat between us. The Cleveland Clinic says airplane ventilation systems may actually temper the spread of the virus. Research at Harvard University suggests air travel is safer than grocery shopping.

Yeah, give me more of that kind of stuff.

Just please, please, don’t let me hear Jared Kushner tell us, as he did last spring, that the United States will be “really rocking again” by July. Someone stuff a sock in him.

Technology’s threat to our security and democracy

Make no mistake about it: Our advanced technology is posing a serious threat to national security as well as to the foundation of our democracy. No one said it more clearly than the brilliant physicist Stephen Hawking: “The creation of artificial intelligence may be the worst event in the history of civilization.” He’s not alone. SpaceX founder Elon Musk, who knows something about technology, says, “Artificial intelligence could start World War III.”

The application of artificial intelligence to military operations
is so great that nations have formed units of cyber warriors.
In other words, they are skillful hackers. In effect, we are in an arms race of a different kind. Because so much of what we
do is computerized now, it’s all vulnerable. A system is secure only until it’s breached. You’ll remember that last year we saw the worst-ever cyber attack on the U.S. when our Department of Energy was hacked. A cyber expert reported that at least 50 organizations were hacked. Microsoft’s president, Brad Smith, said he was impressed by the sophistication and scope of the attack.

In their book “Cyber War,” Richard Clarke, a security
expert, and Robert Knake explain what cyber warriors can do. For instance, they hacked into Syria’s defense system
to reprogram radar to show empty skies at a certain time
so that Israeli fighter planes could attack a manufacturing plant. Hackers can also cripple a nation in various ways. For example, Russia shut down Ukraine’s banking system for
a week. Think of the consequences of that in the U.S. We already know that our electric grid is fragile and vulnerable.

The danger of ‘deepfake video’

Add to these threats the developing technology that allows the creation of video that’s so real and convincing, you cannot tell it is fake. They’re now called “deepfakes.” Before long, with the advancing technology, a kid in his basement could produce one and put it on social media.

Two law professors with expertise in technology are waving red flags of danger. Writing in Foreign Affairs magazine, Robert Chesney of the University of Texas and Danielle Citron of the University of Virginia describe scenarios that could launch a war. Imagine the consequences of a video showing a nation’s leader announcing that missiles have been fired at another country, or of an ISIS leader announcing a chemical attack — videos that could cover the world in minutes and that cannot be determined to be fake.

Clarke and Knake warn about another aspect of this that’s especially frightening. Skillful hackers can sneak into a computer system without being detected. Once they can bypass a system’s security, they can go in at any future time and adjust programs to do great damage. Some systems in the U.S. may already have been breached without us knowing.

The threat to our elections

Besides the aspects of war, the available technology poses a threat to the functioning of democracy in various ways. As you know, U.S. intelligence agencies are sure that Russia interfered in our presidential elections, spreading false information and targeting individuals to receive specific information on social media. The truth may never catch up to the inflammatory falsehoods that spread like wildfire through social media because they’re more interesting and colorful. People are more likely to spread false information if it reflects their bias.

Cyber warriors in a hostile nation can sow confusion about our elections, discontent based on false information, and scurrilous lies about a candidate or officeholder, which can affect the outcome of an election. In their article about deepfake videos, Chesney and Citron say “the prospect is chilling” that the technology can disrupt our democratic elections, which are

the foundation of our democracy. “There is no silver bullet for countering ‘deepfakes,’” they say. Will we have a functioning democracy if we cannot agree on what’s true and lose public faith in the legitimacy of our elections? A believable fake video could destroy the career of a public official.

The world’s leaders are not ignoring these threats, but what can they do? The Transatlantic Commission on Election Integrity is meeting without fanfare to deal with the integrity
of elections. The commission is led by Michael Chertoff, who was secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and Anders Fogh Rasmussen, who was NATO secretary- general and a prime minister of Denmark. Deepfake videos are one of their concerns. They’re trying to push nations into a cooperative effort to deal with the threat to elections because no nation can do it alone. As they put it, “The future of democracy is at stake.” Can a warning be stronger than that?

In any event, the technological genie is out of the bottle. Algorithms, artificial intelligence, and the rest cannot be put back in. Those who are now waving the red flags of danger may be the Paul Reveres of our time. Are we listening? What will we do? What can we do?

What’s Healthy Now?

There has been a lot of conversation lately about the word “healthy,” and I must admit it made me take a minute and ask myself, “So what do people think is healthy?”  In working with clients over the years, I’ve learned the interpretation of healthy can mean a myriad of things. These differences in opinion on “healthy” can be a challenge to staying on point in the well-being lifestyle, so I hope today’s post will help clear things up.

I found several definitions, but the one most suitable is the definition from the Collins Concise English Dictionary — ”Healthy is the state of being bodily and mentally vigorous and free from disease.  The definition penned by the World Health Organization (WHO) is “Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”   Next, when going to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for guidance, you may really be in a pickle. They currently allow the use of the term “healthy” on product packaging only when products meet specific nutritional guidelines, which now focus on limited levels of fat, cholesterol, and sodium. Even with today’s more conscientious culture of natural health and improved nutrition, several very important food items are left out of the current FDA guide.

Almonds, avocados, and salmon miss the mark, according to the FDA. Here is an overview of what these foods bring to the health table:

Almonds are a powerhouse of nutrients. Of all the tree nuts, ounce for ounce, almonds are the most nutrient-dense. They contain protein, fiber, calcium, vitamin E, riboflavin, and niacin.

A one-ounce serving has 13 grams of “good” unsaturated fats and only 1 gram of saturated fat. They are cholesterol- and gluten-free. Almonds are also rich in magnesium, which aids in heart health and lowering blood pressure. Additionally, several research studies have shown that these nuts can be effective in reducing bad cholesterol and preserving healthy cholesterol.

Avocados (which are fruits) contain almost 20 vitamins and minerals in each serving. Nutrient content of this produce item includes potassium, which can aid in controlling blood pressure, and folate, which is a key in cell repair and helpful during pregnancy.  Avocados are high in fat and calories, so it is important to adhere to the recommended serving size (1/5 or 1 ounce of a medium avocado). Two to three thin slices or 2 tablespoons of mashed avocado will give the correct amount. Avocados are also high in antioxidants, which contribute to cell health.

Salmon is a higher-fat fish, and it’s the fat that contains Omega-3 fatty acids, making this seafood a good choice. The benefits of omega-3 fatty acids, or good fats, include a lower risk of arthritis, cancer, and heart disease. These fats have positive effects on memory, performance, and behavior.  Research has also shown promising results from omega-3 fatty acids in studies of depression and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).  The American Heart Association recommends eating 3.5-ounce portions of fish, such as salmon, at least twice a week.

These foods may not have a seat at today’s FDA table of healthy foods. However, after taking a look at their nutrient makeup and the perspective on health and wellness in the 21st century, it looks like the regulatory agency may be persuaded to revisit the topic of what’s healthy. As for me, I’ll leave each of those delicious foods on my list of good and healthy things to eat.

Takeaway: To ensure you are making wise and varied meal choices, it is crucial to learn all the facts about the nutritional content of the food items you bring to your table.